No announcement yet.

Does anyone know Uttoxeter Road, Derby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know Uttoxeter Road, Derby?

One of my great-aunts died at 187 Uttoxeter Road, Derby, which wasn't her usual address. The cause of death was senile dementia and the informant was someone causing the body to be buried, so I assume she was in a hospital, residential home or asylum.

Does anyone know what was at 187 Uttoxeter Road in 1955?

I've tried googling, and it looks as though the County Asylum was in that area, but I can't find an address for it.

Hi Mary

Not sure, but there is a Uttoxeter Old Road as well as Uttoxeter New Road.

I have googled as well and it seems to me that it could be the old workhouse that became the manor hospital, now demolished. I also remember that the asylum probably what was referred to as "the pastures" in Mickleover, Derby. It's the right area. It was a sort of hospital for mental illnesses.

What about contacting Derby local studies library or the county record office at Matlock? I think both addresses are in the wiki.

Comment

Thanks, Margaret, yes, I wondered if it might be The Pastures.

I'll try the two offices you suggested, thanks.

Comment

Mary, although I am not very far from this area, it isn't one that I am too familiar with.

I know we did have a hospital for the mentally sick which we called Mickleover; however OH isn't sure if the Mickleover hospital is the same one as The Pastures, I thought it was.

OH seems to think that Mickleover as a village is on the road out to Uttoxeter and not 'Uttoxeter Road'

I'v googled and this is what I found, maybe this will help.

Discover Derby

BBC - Derby Communities - Mickleover

Mickleover, Derby, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
        Kathleen

Comment

Mary, I've never seen this before, how nice if your great aunt is burried in here.

Atmosphere - Old Cemetery, Uttoxeter New Road, Derby - Andy Savage - 211/257 - World Wide Panorama

and this too
          Uttoxeter New Road Cemetery, Derby - Photographs of gravestones in the graveyard.
          Kathleen

Comment

Mickleover is virtually in Derby. As you approach Derby on the A38 from Burton you have Litteover and Mickleover. They are only just outside Derby city centre.

If you look on Google maps you will see that Uttoxeter Road is very close.

Comment

I have just found this and I have checked the postcode given here and the area for Uttoxeter Road Mickleover is DE3 however it won't bring up an address for the postcode given.

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details
              Kathleen

Comment

Thanks, all, the Pastures certainly does seem likely. What an impressive building!

Kath's cemetery site linked to a Derby FHS application form for a burial search, so I'll send that off, as I'm looking for the burials of Auntie Nellie and her sister Ada, who also died in Derby.

Comment

I knew Auntie Nellie was a teacher, but I see from her death cert that she was a headmistress. I should love to know where she taught, but Google isn't coming up with anything. Her name was Nellie Pool, spinster, she moved to Derby about 1913, and I imagine she would have retired about 1943.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-09-08, 16:32.

Comment

I came across your question the other day & thought I'd try & help. I live in Mickleover, about a mile from Uttoxeter Rd, so I drove down but couldn't find a 187 & the sat nav says it doesn't exist either! There are a few houses which were built about 25 years ago where I thought it should've been, but my husband who has lived in mickleover most of his life, says it was all fields there before, so it couldn't have been knocked down.
                    It isn't the workhouse, as this was on the other side of the road & about a mile away on Uttoxeter New Road, & it's not Pastures Hospital as this wasn't on Uttoxeter Rd & is a mile away in the opposite direction.
                    There is a 187 Uttoxeter New Rd but not a 187 Uttoxeter Old Rd according to the sat nav.

Comment

Thanks, Sally, that's very kind of you to look.

How odd, though. I've just received the will and probate, and it clearly gives the address as "187 Uttoxeter Road, Derby", just like the death cert.

According to the death cert she had senile dementia; the Uttoxeter Road address isn't her own house (she lived in Dairy House Road), and she had no surviving relatives in Derby as far as I know, so I would have expected her to be in a hospital, though not the workhouse, as she wasn't short of money.

Comment

there wasnt a workhouse on uttoxeter new road in 1955.it was the kingsway then the manor.they had people with dementia.
                        the rowditch pub is number 246 uttoxter new road which is just up from the cemetery on the other side.
                        there was no workhouse on uttoxeter old road the church at the top of uttoxeter old road is number 212 and on the other side of the road is little terrace houses.where the gap is that used to be little terrace houses as well.
                        the meercat.

Comment

I wonder if it was a private house, then? The informant on the death cert's no help - it was her executor, an accountant, "causing the body to be buried", presumably because there were no relatives around.

Comment

I'll try & have a look for 187 uttoxeter new rd on sat. I'm wondering if the rd from Derby up to Mickleover was just called Uttoxeter Rd in the 50's & later changed it's name. As the death cert says utt rd derby this is probably the case.

Comment

Thanks, Sally, that's very kind of you.

Comment

I've asked the in-laws about it & they said in the 50's Uttoxeter Rd used to run from Derby up to Mickleover, it was some years later before they changed the first bit of the road from Derby to Utt New Rd. I had a look for 187 Utt New Rd but couldn't actually see it as the whole house & garden are boarded up, but from the look of the other houses around it's a slightly larger than average semi, but not big enough to have beeen a care home etc

Comment

OK, thanks very much indeed for looking.

Comment

The land/houses/commercial businesses on both Utt Rd and Utt New Road change frequently. I went out with someone who lived in a flat on the New Road in 1994...and the place I used to park in is now some buildings...but not sure which ones cause so much has changed!

I work round the corner from this area and also had a rellie in the asylum. The records office at Matlock definitely has the asylum records...although obviously, there is a gap in the records for the time I was looking for!

<<<waves to Sally, Margaret and Meercat>>>
                                    Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Thanks, Mandy - I'll try the Records Office to see if she was in the asylum, although that address doesn't appear to be the asylum address as far as we've been able to establish.

Comment

Working...
                                      X