Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawson Hitchcock hiding in 1881?

Hi Folks,

I thought all my searching for Dawson Hitchcock would be pretty easy - not so! I have his birth cert and he was born in 1859/1860 in Ockbrook, Derbyshire, his parents being Henry Hitchcock and Matilda Burn. I have Dawson on the 1861, no problem, and was badly mistranscribed on the 1871 (but winkled him out all the same). He married Hannah Woodroffe in 1882, again I have the marriage cert, and I have every cert imaginable from thereonin. He is safely on the 1891 with missus Hannah, along with a number of kiddliwinks including my Grandmother Lily, but for the life of me I cannot find him on the 1881. I have tried ennumerable ruses, bunging in the barest details etc., and nowt! This search has been on Ancestry, so I then switched to LDS 1881, again with no joy. It's driving me bananas............!:(

Is there a chance he might have been in some theatre of war perhaps between 1871 to 1882? Not very well up on these things, I'm afraid. Can any kind soul out there spot him on the 1881 please?

Many thanks,

Chris

Um, I don't think his birth cert would say 1859/1860, I think it would have an exact date with only one year.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I see in 1891 he was a railway engine driver, so he may have been working anywhere where trains ran. What was his address and occupation on his marriage cert?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        Um, I don't think his birth cert would say 1859/1860, I think it would have an exact date with only one year.
        You're quite right Nell! I do have his birth cert which was in December 1859, but the actual registration wasn't until 1st Q. 1860. All the relevant census' have him down as born in 1860, so I bunged in both years for a bit of leeway for anyone searching the 1881.

Chris

Comment

Think I found the family on 1881 but not through ancestry.

Henry and Matilda are there but no Dawson.
          Eldest child with them is 19yr old Theodore born Ockbrooke.
          Then...
          Reaben, Henry, Bertha, George, Frederick, Herbert, Louisa, William.

Sorry if this is no help and you already have them.

Ooooh Theodore and Reaben are both railway workers!!
          Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 05-05-08, 17:46. Reason: add a bit
          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Nell - he was living at 14 Fowler Street, Derby at the time of his marriage on 8 May 1882. His missus-to-be, Hannah Woodroffe, is down on the marriage cert as being at the same address. Tut, tut!

Dawson was initially a railway engine fireman/stoker, and then was promoted to railway engine driver working from Chaddesden Sidings, Derbyshire. He died in 1896, in Derby.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
              Think I found the family on 1881 but not through ancestry.

Henry and Matilda are there but no Dawson.
              Eldest child with them is 19yr old Theodore born Ockbrooke.
              Then...
              Reaben, Henry, Bertha, George, Frederick, Herbert, Louisa, William.

Sorry if this is no help and you already have them.

Ooooh Theodore and Reaben are both railway workers!!
              Yes, this is the very family. Got all the other members of the family (and there were hordes of 'em!) sussed. Just can't find Dawson in 1881......

Chris

Comment

The fact that bride and groom are at the same address doesn't necessarily mean they were living together before marriage.

My grandparents were living at the same address, because my grandfather was a lodger which is how he met grandmother.

I also have lots of instances of this, where they use the same address for the purpose of having only one set of banns called.

Comment

The reason behind my panicking is that we have got a 'Hitchcock' related get-together in Derby in the next couple of days with Reuben, Theodore and Dawson's descendants whom I have never met. I have been carefully filing all my nasty bits of paper (as you do!) into some semblance of order, along with all the certificates that I have got, only to find there is this gap with Dawson (my G-grandfather) on the 1881. I am going to feel pretty stoopid if I haven't got this simple census record of the chap..........!:o

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    The fact that bride and groom are at the same address doesn't necessarily mean they were living together before marriage.

My grandparents were living at the same address, because my grandfather was a lodger which is how he met grandmother.

I also have lots of instances of this, where they use the same address for the purpose of having only one set of banns called.

I think that's probably right. Both were working in Derby, I guess, and as Hannah was born on Stanford-on-Soar, Notts., it would have meant quite a lot more travelling and expense.

Chris

Comment

Chrissie

What was he mistranscribed as in 1871?
                      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
                        Chrissie

What was he mistranscribed as in 1871?
                        Sorry I have taken so long in getting back to you! Yes, he was badly mistranscribed on the 1871 as 'Anson Hitchcock'. RG10/3555, folio 46, page 8. A miracle I found that, I reckon!

Chris

Comment

Did you know the newspaper report on his inquest is on the Gale site?

Comment

There's a Charles Hitchcock from Ockbrook working as a servant in Stanton by Dale. He's only 17 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              Did you know the newspaper report on his inquest is on the Gale site?
                              Oh, Mary, that is exciting! I have one newspaper report on his inquest, but perhaps this might be another. Do you have the web address please? I would love to check it out. Many thanks

Chris

Comment

There's a Charles Hitchcock from Ockbrook working as a servant in Stanton by Dale. He's only 17 though.

That will be his nephew, Mary. Believe me, there are hundreds of 'em dotted about!. At least they didn't travel too far, mainly starting off in Ockbrook and later migrating to Derby. More work, I guess.

Chris

Comment

The inquest report is in the Derby Mercury, 14 October 1896, Issue 9484.

If it's not the same one you have, you can find it on the Gale site. You'll need to sign up for their free trial. It's definitely worth it, because they've digitised loads of local newspapers.

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

If you have any trouble finding it, let me know, and I'll e-mail it to you.

Comment

The inquest report is in the Derby Mercury, 14 October 1896, Issue 9484.

If it's not the same one you have, you can find it on the Gale site. You'll need to sign up for their free trial. It's definitely worth it, because they've digitised loads of local newspapers.

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

If you have any trouble finding it, let me know, and I'll e-mail it to you.
                                    Mary - that's fantastic! I did sign up for their free trial, and found the newspaper inquest report on dear Dawson (I did already have it, but great all the same especially as you can print it off!) I have now spent hours trawling through my various names and family locations. Tell me - how long does the trial run for please? Nuisance in a way as we are going to be away until Sunday evening, so please don't think I have ignored your response! Any idea, also, how much their subscription is please? Many thanks again!

Chris

Comment

They don't say how long the trial is, but I signed up a couple of weeks ago as far as I remember, and it's still going.

I don't think you can subscribe after that - as I understand it, it's only open to universities, libraries and such like. So make the most of it
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-05-08, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                                      X