No announcement yet.

Can anyone spot Betsey or Eliza please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone spot Betsey or Eliza please?

I wondered if anyone could find Betsey or Eliza in 1861 please –

1851 Betsey Bell born c1832 East Harnham, Wiltshire is living with her parents and siblings in Britford, Wiltshire, reg district Alderbury.
    HO107/1846 Folio 376 P13

Dec Q 1852 A Betsey Bell marries a James Candey Alderbury.

1871 An Eliza Cardy, niece, born c1854 in Salisbury, is living in the household of Betsey Bell’s sister in law Ellen Bell in Fisherton Anger, Britford.
    RG10/1951 Folio 44 P24

Birth DecQ 1854 Eliza Cardy Alderbury

In 1861, I can find a James Cardy, said to be married, born Fisherton Anger 1830, living in the household of his father in Fisherton Anger. There is no wife or child with him.
    RG9/1315 Folio 32 P14

I can’t find Betsey after 1851 and I can’t find Eliza Cardy in 1861.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Don't know if you have this, from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eliza Cardey
    Christening: 25 DEC 1854 Britford, Wiltshire, England
    Parents: Father: James Cardey
    Mother: Betsy Cardey

Source Information: Batch No.: I010913
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry, I've had a scout round 1861 but cannot see them.

Comment

Thanks Nell. No I didn't have that.

The Bell family is a nightmare and I keep having another go at them and casting them aside in frustration. It's Betsey's brother Stephen, the eldest, who is my direct ancestor but his pob varies between Salisbury and Birmingham!! Their mother Martha has a pob Haventon in 1851 which doesn't exist and she may or may not be the one born Abingdon (on the basis of soundex) in the workhouse in 1891.

I keep hoping that if I can follow the tracks of other family members I may somehow find clues as to their parents' place of marriage.
        Gillian

Comment

Thanks for looking anyway Nell. At least I know I didn't miss anything myself now.
          Gillian

Comment

I'm wondering, as there don't appear to be any other Cardy/ey children born Alderbury in the indexes after Eliza's birth, if perhaps Betsy died in childbirth, and Ellen (or another female relative) had her care.

Though James is supposed to be married 1861 I do have examples of marital condition being wrong on censuses!

Can't find a likely death for Betsy though, bit of a mystery.
            The alternative is that they were with James and his father in 1861 and for whatever reason got missed off the form.

Comment

Gillian

Some families are just plain awkward. I have a few in both my and my OH's trees. Either they just disappear, or they are alive but not on censuses, or they aren't sure which county they were born in, or what their name is!

Comment

Nell - I wondered the same about Betsey dying in childbirth. Either that or she "ran off" and is using another name by 1861.

Ellen was Scottish and didn't move down to England until 1870ish and Betsey's sister didn't have Eliza Cardey with her on any census.

I haven't found Betsey's brother Henry yet - so perhaps Eliza will show up with him.

Thanks for your help.
                Gillian

Comment

Working...
                X