import and merge tree from Ancestry to FTM 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• import and merge tree from Ancestry to FTM 2005

can anyone tell me if i can import my tree that i have on Ancestry to the one i have on my computer which is family tree maker 2005? i dont wont to lose any of the info that is already on FTM but want to save my self time imputting data onto both.

I usually do it the other way round export my tree from FTM to Ancestry .
    never tried that but it must be possible
    I would think you export your ancestry one and save it on your pc then import into FTM ,
    But of course I could be wrong

Comment

You need to export your tree from Ancestry. This will export in gedcom format.
      You will then need to open up that tree using FTM, giving it a different file name to your normal FTM tree.

You then open up either of the FTM trees and merge it with the other one. If some of the names on the trees are the same then, providing the information you have entered about them is identical, they will be merged.

As always, before doing anything with your FTM tree, particularly when merging it with another tree, make sure it is backed up
      Elaine

Comment

I just export my tree from Ancestry to my desktop. It automatically opens in FTM when you double click on it.

Barbara

Comment

Thanks i will have a go. I have been merging my ancestry tree info with that of a relative whose tree i have access to which ancestry does for you without you needing to type it all in. and thought there must be an easier way to transfer it into FTM. I am getting lasy in my old age.
          by the way has anyone tried ancestry's book printing yet it is really good

Comment

i have just merged ancestry with ftm.the only problem i have is that quite a few individuals because the info on both trees wasnt exact havent merged and i have got to go through ftm and merge them myself.
            i suppose the lesson there is to only input into one and then keep merging on regular basis.
            when i have finally merged them all i think that i will upload to ancestry then they are both identical for future!!

Comment

The recommended way (from my point of view) is to keep your master updated tree on your own computer in Family Tree Maker (or similar program). When you have new information to add/update you do so in FTM.

You can then export a gedcom file as and when necessary to upload to Ancestry .

By keeping the master tree on your computer its security is under your control - just make sure you back it up on a regular basis!
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X