doomsday book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doomsday book

Does anyone know if there is a website which gives a definite answer to the question of whether or not a place was mentioned in the Doomsday book? I have looked on this site

The Domesday Book Online - Nottinghamshire Home

But it seems a bit inconclusive, also the town links are "under construction".

All I want to know is, was "my town" in the doomsday book?

Thanks
    Rose

what is the name of your town?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How about doing a Google search for Domesday and the name of your town?
      Last edited by hughar; 04-05-08, 11:24.

Comment

Tried that hughar, inconclusive

Nell, it is Newark in Notts
        Rose

Comment

I believe my Mum has one of those at home so I will ask her hang on.
          Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

My mother said 'of course it is'. She knows it is cos she's seen it and she says it may me under the Bishop something of Lincoln.
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

history of newark-on-trent, nottinghamshire, england - before the normans

Comment

Even Balderton is!

Balderton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                  Tried that hughar, inconclusive
                  Don't know how you looked, but it worked for me.

Anyway, the place index in my Penguin translation of Domesday says that Newark on Trent is included under the names of Newerce and Newerche.

Comment

Welcome to St. Giles Balderton

Comment

Nottinghamshire Heritage Gateway | Research Pathways | Places | Towns | Newark-on-Trent> Overview

Comment

The National Archives site has quite a lot about the Domesday book, and there are several references to Newark.

Domesday Book

Comment

Thank you all .

I was aware of the association with Lady Godiva but this link actually states "The Domesday Book shows that Godiva had about 870 acres of ploughed land at Newark"

Thanks again :D
                          Rose

Comment

Volume 1 of the Victoria County History of Nottinghamshire has chapters entitled 'Introduction to the Nottinghamshire Domesday' and 'Text of the Nottinghamshire Domesday'. There is more information at Victoria County History: Nottinghamshire which provides a link to the Internet Archive, where you can download a simple text version or a complete copy of the Volume.

Comment

thanks hughar (welcome to ftf by the way) :D
                              Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X