Missing in 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1861

I've never been able to find my great x 3 grandparents Robert and Elizabeth Ann Rolfe on the 1861. They married in May 1851 and from 1857-1867 they give their address as 3 Cambridge Road, Bethnal Green at the baptisms of nine children.

I've just been looking on findmypast and - unless I'm being stupid - there are 7 No 3 Cambridge Roads which would cost me more units than I have left: ) They don't come up on the name search on find my past either so I've no guarantee that they will be there. Cambridge Road is a huge road.

This is them on the 1871

25 Cambridge Road, Bethnal Green St Bartholomew
    Robert Rolfe Head 42 butcher Newbury, Berks
    Elizabeth Ann Rolfe 41 St George Middlesex
    Robert Rolfe 19 butcher Bethnal Green, Middlesex
    George Rolfe 18 clerk Bethnal Green, Middlesex
    John Rolfe 17 butcher Bethnal Green, Middlesex
    Eliza Rolfe 10 Bethnal Green, Middlesex
    Arthur Rolfe 7 Bethnal Green, Middlesex
    Charles Rolfe 1 Bethnal Green, Middlesex

Can anyone suggest anything to help?
    Asa

I've a sub on there. I'll have a look for you. Jools

Comment

Hmm - several 3 Cambridge Roads Bethnal Green

they're not at 3 Cambridge Rd Bethnal Green as RG9/255/95/1 as that's a family called EAGLES.

UPDATE

they're not at 3 Cambridge Rd Bethnal Green as RG9/255/100/11 & 12 as that's a family called BEADLEY or BRADLEY.

they're not at 3 Cambridge Rd Bethnal Green as RG9/255/115/42 as that's a family called BROWN.

Still digging.
      Last edited by Jools in Scarborough; 04-05-08, 09:43.

Comment

Oh thanks very much for looking Jules - I think I've tried most things. Perhaps I just need to trawl again but it is such a task with these long roads over many schedules that I was hoping for a shortcut : )
        Asa

Comment

Did a search for all Georges born 1854 +/- a year in Bethnal Green with mum Elizabeth. Nothing like Rolfe.

Either they were all unrecognisably transcribed or they were elsewhere on census night - or they got missed.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell. They weren't badly off so perhaps they were in Benidorm...
            Asa

Comment

Continuing on the Cambridge Rd dig. Last three were all St Andrews.

Now St Bartholomews
              RG9/255/147/1 which is Pleasant Row on Cambridge Road (and no one with surname like ROLFE)

RG9/245/149/6 which is Queens Row on Cambridge Road - again no likely surname

RG9/245/154/15 which is 3 Cambridge Rd, but page is a mixture implying it could be Providence Place off or behind 1 Cambridge Rd - again no likely surname

RG9/245/156/19 which is 3 Cambridge Rd and a mixture of RITMAN and HIGMAN. BUT have a look at the family at no 2 - it's a mixture of surnames including one which looks like ROWE - but the family ages/structure don't seem to add up on first glance.

Comment

Thank you, Jools, I really appreciate your hard work. I've just been looking at that and I don't think it could be any of my lot - there are Rowes similar to these on the 51 and they seem to belong to the Draper family who are about before and after the 61 - but it is where they ought to be isn't it?

I suppose they could be away or travelling somewhere - I should have said earlier that their son John is with his uncle Joseph Rolfe in Newbury in 1861.
                Asa

Comment

Sorry I have to go out now - will be back later.
                  Asa

Comment

Found John with his uncle on 1861 about same time you posted.

As Eliza was born AMJ 1860, can't you get a clue from her BC where they were living 1861?
                    Last edited by Jools in Scarborough; 04-05-08, 11:39.

Comment

I'm sorry to have wasted your time with John, Jools. I haven't got Eliza's birth certificate but according to the parish registers, she and her twin Hannah Maria were born 26th May 1860 which ties in with the BMDs. The address at baptism in August is 3 Cambridge Road, same as all the others. Bit of a mystery.
                      Asa

Comment

Time not wasted so no worries As twin Hannah died AMJ 1861 (Bethnal Green 1c/175) is it worth trying to find her - or did she die before census day? Just a thought - if they had money, could she have been in some sort of hospital with mum? Jools

Comment

sorry, Asa, tried a few likely mistranscriptions but nothing likely when I looked at the images.

I understand how you feel. My OH has family missing in 1841 and 1861 (both pieces missing) and of course it is finding them on 1841 and 1861 that I need to solve a couple of mysteries.

Comment

I'm just checking ancestry for you

They are not at 1-18 cambridge Road (comes under St Jude)

Still looking though
                            Vikki -
                            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Not at 1-23 Cambridge Road (St Andrew)
                              Vikki -
                              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks very much for looking anyway Vicki ; )

Nell, I have sooo many missing from the 1861 - mostly from Grays Inn and Saffron Hill area. But it's really frustrating when you know the address they were living at and they're still not there!
                                Asa

Comment

I agree Asa!

Comment

Working...
                                  X