• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring 20th Century London

Another excellent website

Themes - Exploring 20th Century London
    Joan died in July 2020.

I just looked at the Cityscape section and was very impressed.

It would be nice if they included more maps (I sent in this suggestion).

Thanks for posting this Joan -

Tim
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

It's got me thinking about the huge changes in Central London since I started working there in 1964. Many of the landmark shop and office buildings disappeared while I was still working there and I'm sure many others have disappeared since.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Just finished reading Jerry White's "London in the 19th Century" which I heartily recommend, in which he says during most of Queen Vic's reign London was one big building site. Things haven't changed, there's still scaffolding in many places and cranes.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Interesting to read that the London smog in 1952 caused the deaths of an estimated 4,000 people.

Comment

I remember being sent home from school because of the smog and mum coming to meet me but we missed one another because you couldn't see your hand in front of your face
            Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

My father told me that his dad recalled arriving in London from Norfolk and going to look at the Thames (grandfather had been brought up by the Yare). He said he could put a spoon in the river, and not be able to see the bottom of the spoon as the water was so polluted.

Comment

There was quite a smog in the winter of 1962/3 when I was at Uni. I remember walking down the tunnel from the Science Museum to South Ken. station and it was pretty foggy in there.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X