Removing a family to their own file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a family to their own file

I've been researching a colleagues family for her but I didn't know I could have a separate file for them using FTM. I just created an unrelated individual and worked on from there. How to I get her tree out into its own file?

Top left of screen click on File, select Export File, then select Selected Individuals.

This will bring up the box with the index of individuals, select the names from the list on the left and add them into the window on the right.

Save the file as an .FTW file with an easy to recall name, make sure you save the file to the same folder as your existing files.

Don't forget when you next open FTM this latest/newest file is the one which will open automatically.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thankyou Glen, I don't know why I was so dim as to do it the wrong way in the first place.

Comment

can I ask a probable daft question if you do that, do the names you exported disappear from your file ???

Comment

No, it just copies them.

Comment

aha was hoping they would go to the new file as I cannot work out how to split a file very easily thanks Mary

Comment

Working...
            X