X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditionally baptised

Does anyone know what this means?

Conditionally baptised and received into the church before confirmation

I found it in some parish records this morning, all for the same family. The children were all baptised but not always as babies.

None appeared to have been privately baptised...at least there was no mention of it.

I've never seen the conditionally word before against a baptism

Allie
    Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

If you 'Google' Conditional Baptism there are lots of answers on there. One of those is if the people being baptised are changing from C of E to Catholic or vice versa.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thanks Stella,

Never thought to google doh!!

Allie
      Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Comment

Not to worry Allie - hope you find the answer you're looking for.
        Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

In the Roman Catholic Church and those which maintain many similar beliefs (e.g. C of E) it is considered a heresy (i.e. BAD THING) to be baptised more than once. On the other hand, you don't want to your soul at risk by not being baptised.
          If you aren't sure whether you've been baptised or not, the only remaining solution is "conditional" baptism - i.e. I baptise you ... if you haven't been baptised already"

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Christine,

These were C of E baptisms and some of the children had been born in another parish. Maybe that is part of the reason too.

I appreciate your input
            Allie

Comment

Working...
            X