Free Anti Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Anti Virus

You will note from another thread that I posted I had problems with the internet.
    I tried to download AVG8 (free) it was going to take 32 minitues on Broadband and after about 28 minutes I received a message that IE could not download AVG exe. All that wasted time.
    When I used it on my old PC it downloaded in about 2 minutes - Is it normal for it to take so long now days???
    Avast, appeared to give me the problem with the Internet and I have deleted it. Just wondering if to give it another go or is there anything better that is free to download.
    Look forward to your comments.

Kite, thank you Security is set to Medium-High do you think I should change this?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret, just recently I found I could download the whole zonealarm security suite for free - someone on here kindly pointed it out. Id been having probs with AVG anyway - if you go to zonealarm like you are downloading the free firewall that most of us have there is a box to the right saying how you can use trialpay and get the whole suite free - its got just about everything including antivirus, antispam, anti root something or other and of course the firewall. You click on the box and you can choose to buy or try something from one of the suppliers, I bought Ā£10 worth of ink from ink club which I needed anyway and I always use inkclub, so it was no loss at all and then I got a years free sub to the zonealarm suite and its been great so far - its also rated No. 1 by all the sites.

I cant see the link that was on here now - may be someone will help??

Update, found it! It was given by Lyn

TrialPay - An Alternative Shopping Cart and Online Payment Solution for Merchants
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 03-05-08, 21:22.

Comment

Heather did you have to delete the other stuff like AVG and ad-aware and stuff like that first ????

Comment

Heather, Thank you so much for your reply. I have downloaded Avast again and touch wood it is OK today but I will wait and see what happens. I had to register this free copy which I did not do before so wonder if that is why it stopped working.
        I would prefer AVG but it does not like my Vista. My friends laptop is the other way round.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I have avg on my vista laptop Margaret !!

Comment

I also have AVG and Zonealarm Free Security and both work well together and keep things safe for me.

I wouldn't run Zonealarm alone though as it does not do what AVG does.

I also wouldn't run AVG alone.

The only grumble I have with AVG is that when it is running a scan (same time each day for me) things slow done until it's done. I nearly removed it until I realised it was the same for everyone :D

Eldest son managed to download both onto his Vista Laptop too although he had to remove Norton to do this. That didn't worry him though as we have only ever heard bad things about Norton.
            With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

By all accounts the AVG 7.5 will no longer be updated after the end of May so we will all need the AVG 8.

When you go to the site to download it there are 2 options one from CNet download.com or direct from the AVG server.
              I used the CNET and it took 30 mins but I have been told it is much quicker from AVG's own server.

The new version now has anti-spyware included and it shows whether sites are safe when doing a google search.

AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation
              Christine in Portugal

Comment

Shaz - the zonealarm SUITE does everything avg does and a lot more Its a paid for suite, top ranking at the moment - and you can get it free by using that link above and buying an item from one of the merchants - as I said I just bought a tenners worth of ink which I wanted anyway. Its not just the zonealarm firewall - its a complete antivirus, antispam, anti spy, anti root diggers or something plus the firewall. Check it out.

Total Internet Security Software: ZoneAlarmĀ® Internet Security Suite.

Val, yes I did take avg off but Id taken it off before because it kept having problems on this puter. When the scan was running my puter kept freezing. When the scan is running now, I dont even notice it until a balloon comes up inviting me to see what zonealarm has deleted (spies). It also quarantined a trojan on the first day I used it.
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-05-08, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
                X