Help please in finding Alfred Douse (Douse) and father John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please in finding Alfred Douse (Douse) and father John

I am looking for Alfred Dowse (Douse) born 1875 in Liverpool, my gt.grandfather he married Euphemia Small in Stockton on Tees 2/5/1898 their daughter Margaret was born 1899, they then moved to Grimsby where my grandmother was born 1900 (back of King Edward St on b. cert.) he may have died here working as a fisherman, Euphemia and girls returned to Stockton Durham, she remarried before 1919. but I cant find any proof of this.
    Also trying to find his father John Dowse a sailor on the marriage cert. These guys have really got me puzzled does any one have relatives of these men.
    Hope someone can help Thankyou

Here's Euphemia's second marriage:

Marriages Mar 1916
    Appleton Walter / Dowse / Stockton / 10a 185
    Dowse Euphemia / Appleton / Stockton / 10a 185

Comment

Alfred and Euphemia are living together in Stockton with Margaret and Jane in 1901. Alfred's working as an iron dresser.

Class: RG13; Piece: 4625; Folio: 92; Page: 21.

Comment

Can't find a likely birth for Alfred at all, under the name of Douse or Dowse, and I can't find his father either. I'm beginning to wonder if he was illegitimate, and a fictitious father was named on the marriage cert.

Have you found them on any earlier censuses? I can't see Alfred in 1881 or 1891.

Who were the marriage witnesses (in case they turn out to be relations)?

Comment

Thanks Mary - I know Euphemia married again but there were no children, I remember Walter as he was about 98 when he died. I have the 1901 census but can't find Alfred before that, I thought perhaps they went to Grimsby looking for work and may have relatives in that area as there seems to be quite a few Dowses in Lincs, but as yet haven't found any connections. The names of witnesses on cert. are Margaret Small who was Euphemias mother and Robert Wilxm I guess this is probably Wilson not sure who he was.
          Thanks Mary for all your help, Regards Chris

Comment

It's rather odd. I've just tried the Welsh censuses, but I can't see them there either.

There is a chance that they could be mistranscribed as Dawes, but there are rather a lot of them.

I can't see a death before 1916 for Alfred, either. Fimdmypast has the index of deaths at sea, but it only goes up to 1890.

Comment

It doesn't look as though he was killed in WW1 - at least there isn't anyone of the right name on the CWGC site.

Comment

Thanks Mary forgot to put down Alfreds second name which was William have just found a William Dowse on the 1891 census aged 17yrs single, a boader occ. alkaline labourer whatever that is. County of Lancaster parish Widnes which is not far from Liverpool do you think he may have used William as well, but then the birth place on that is Ireland so its probably not right what do you think?

Comment

Yes, I saw from his marriage that his middle name was William.

I've just been looking at WW1 service records, pension records and medal cards, but I can't find him. There isn't an Alfred William; there are a couple of Alfreds but the next of kin/address is wrong.

I wouldn't entirely rule out the William you've found; if he was born in Ireland it'd explain why we can't find his father, why we can't find him in earlier censuses, and why we can't find a birth for him. I don't know why he'd say he was born in Liverpool in 1901, though.

I should like to know what happened to him after 1901. You may have to wait for the 1911 census to find out more. I wonder if he emigrated or something?

Comment

Your right Mary I may have to put this one on hold, I just seem to remember an uncle saying he died a fisherman at Grimsby, I did mail a Maritime place in Grimsby to see if there were any records but never heard anything.
                    Thankyou Mary for your time and help - Regards Chris

Comment

Hi Christine,

Welcome to FTF

There's a William Dowse bn Liverpool c1874 with his parents on the 1881 census. RG11; Piece: 3610; Folio: 20; Page: 33

In the household were:
                      John Dowse 31- head bn c1850 Boston, Lincoln occ refreshment house keeper
                      Maria Dowse 30- wife bn c1851 Scotland
                      William Dowse 7- son bn c1874 Liverpool

They are living at 60 Tithebarn St, Liverpool.
                      Sue

Comment

Not sure if this is the William you found in 1891 Christine... but he seems to fit with the William I found in 1881.

1891: RG12; Piece: 2908; Folio 39; Page 15

He is only listed as William, bn Liverpool c1874, boarding with the Gibbons? family (transcribed as this but image is not clear). Williams occupation is news vendor.

They are living in Liverpool, sorry can't read name of street. But it is the same sub registration district as in 1881 - Dale St, Liverpool
                        Last edited by Crafty Sue; 03-05-08, 08:15. Reason: added more information
                        Sue

Comment

Not sure if I'm going down the right path with this..

If this is the right family there's a marraige for John Dowse & Maria Kennedy in Liverpool in 1874 Jun Q Liverpool Vol 8b page 351
                          Sue

Comment

Hi Sue - Thankyou for all the info, your right this is a great site, and Mary has been so helpful, I'm sure there is probably family in Lincs its just finding the right one.
                            Have to go now have a Tesco delivery arriving soon but will check all your info out later, many thanks Sue Regards Chris

Comment

I don't know a lot about Irish research, but the Liverpool birthplace suggests there might be an Irish connection. I've just had a look at the 1911 Dublin census, and there's a John Clarence Dowse aged 55, who'd be about the right age to be Alfred's father. I was hoping Alfred might be there, but he isn't. There's just a John Alexander aged 19 at the same address.

No birth found in Scotland for Alfred either.

You could try e-mailing the Stockton-on-Tees library to ask for an electoral roll search between 1901 and 1916. If we can pinpoint how long he was in Stockton it might be a start. You could also do the same for Grimsby.

Comment

I just tried extending the search of ScotlandsPeople a bit, and there is a William Dowse born in 1877. You'll need to buy some credits to see the full details (which should include parents' names) if you think it's worth following up:

Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople

This is the only Alfred William born around the right time in England:

Births Jun 1877
                                Dowse Alfred William Bury St. E. 4a 559

but the birthplace doesn't make a lot of sense.

There are also a couple William Dowse's born in Lincs around the right time.

Comment

Hi Sue & Mary - Just want to say thank you for all your help and information that you have passed on to me, I shall now work with this and fingers crossed will achieve results.
                                  Thanks again - Chris

Comment

Working...
                                  X