Scottish Twin Birth - only one registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Twin Birth - only one registered

Could someone tell me the situation regarding stillbirths/infant deaths in Scotland?

My great-aunt was born in July 1897 in Hillhead Glasgow. Her family were briefly there - her father was a Staff Engineer in the Royal Navy at the time. I have downloaded her birth record from ScotlandsPeople.

I know that she was the survivor of twins. However, there is no other birth registration. It is possible/probable that the other baby was stillborn. Is there any way of discovering its fate and possibly sex?
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 22-01-11, 15:25.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

See if you can find the information here, Elizabeth

General Register Office for Scotland - Registration - Registering a Stillbirth
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for the link, Little Nell. However, it seems to relate to what you should do now, and not what the procedure was over 100 years ago.

I suppose it is possible the baby didn't go full term and was lost earlier in the pregnancy.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You mention the child being survivor of twins, is that from family knowledge or based on a time being recorded on the birth certificate.
        If the latter don't forget in Scotland the time of birth is always recorded.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Elizabeth on a twins birth cert in Scotland it is usually written in the left hand margin that the child is a twin...

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

deleted
            Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 22-01-11, 15:25.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth

I;m no obstetrics expert, but I would have thought that a fetus lost late enough in pregnancy to be identified as a boy would have caused the other twin to be born too - or caused likely infection.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

From your mother's notes I would assume the other child was still-born.
                If that is so the best possibility of tracing him/her is burial registers as still-births were not registered at that time.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Elizabeth,

I dont know if this is the case with scottish ways or not, BUT I know that in our local cemetery, that the stillborn children that are buried are actually recorded in the parish records "Stillborn child of Amy Blake and Fred Blunt"

Maybe this might be the case with yours? and in the local cemetery?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Little Nell, DarkSecretz and Guy, many thanks for your input.

I will see if I can find anything in the burial registers. Thanks again.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                    X