This may be controversial, but fascinating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be controversial, but fascinating

I am not sure where this came from, but my father brought it home from the war. I THINK, but not absolutely sure, that he said he picked them up in the street when he was in Italy, but this maybe wrong.
    I have always been fascinated by this, I also possess one I think for a soldier "Soldbuch"
    Can anyone read what it says, I can make out the obvious bits, mother and father. Would be nice to find out who he was.

If this offends, then maybe one of the mods can remove thread.
    Last edited by SuffolkSue; 02-05-08, 13:54.

Oh would be nice to return to family if they could be found Sue wouldnt it ,,,
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Babs, yes it would, wondered what his fate was.:(

Comment

Sue I dont think this will offend anyone.

I think its a smashing piece of history and like Babs said if it could be returned to his family just think how they would feel.
        It looks in very good condition too..

]

Comment

Yes both books are in extremely good condition. There is writing on some of the other pages. Shall I post the soldier one as well?

Comment

Laurentius Endres, dob 9/12/1907, born Aletshausen, Krumbach, Swabia, German Reich, Catholic, married, assistant? shoemaker, parents Heinrich, farmer, d. 1926, and Maria, ?, d. 1927.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-05-08, 14:35.

Comment

Thats wonderful, thank you Mary.

Comment

There are a couple of references on Google to a person of the same name who lived in the 18th c - can't see anything more recent.

Comment

Comment

The Soldbuch will be his army paybook, I think.

Comment

The paybook belongs to a different person, Friedrich Ebert.

My German's very rusty, and I don't have time to look up all the words I don't know now, but he was a Lance-Corporal (?), blood group O, gas mask size 2.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-05-08, 14:02.

Comment

The address given in the paybook is Rechtenbach Kreis, Lohr am Main, Mainfranken.

I thought "geb" stood for "geboren" (born), but that can't be right as the year is 1943. It must be the date of issue. Hopefully someone with better German than me will be along shortly. The next part is his description - eye and hair colour, shoe size, etc.

Comment

He was a Private First Class or Lance Corporal

The pay book "Soldbuch" also doubled as his ID card

He was an unskilled labourer (Hilfsarbeiter)

Religion RC
                          Shoe size 29

Some of the handwriting is hard to read
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:
                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The DOB is 1923 and not 1943.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:
                            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I think it says he has a scar (Narbe) but the writing is pretty awful.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth, is Stapf Maria Endres' maiden name? I can't read what's written underneath it, and it doesn't sound like an occupation.

Comment

Yes, Mary.

Name Laurentius Endres
                                  9/12/1907
                                  Married
                                  Shoemaker

Father: Heinrich farmer/agricultural labourer + (died) 1926

Mother: Maria Stapf + (died) 1927

+ is commonly used in Germany to denote death followed by the date/year. You see it in newspapers and on gravestones.
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

Sorry, Mary, I think you got most of that already. I keep having to flip back a page!
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Yes, it was just the Stapf I wasn't sure about.

Does Hilfsarbeiter mean Laurentius was unskilled, although he was a shoemaker, or does it just mean he was employed by somebody else?
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-05-08, 15:46.

Comment

Laurentius was a shoemaker and then the Hilfsarbeiter means "unskilled worker", although it is open to interpretation.

LEO Ergebnisse für "Hilfsarbeiter"

In Germany they had (and still had) a very good apprentice system and if he had been highly trained it would probably say "Meister". They were very proud of their training.

In Germany you have to have very rigorous training to be a baker, hairdresser, etc and the apprenticeships are five years or more.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                        X