Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like some advice on contacting possible relatives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like some advice on contacting possible relatives.

I am researching the name Gosling and there are very few of them in Australia. I am considering sending everyone of them in the phone book a letter to see if there is a connection.

Do you find this sort of approach successful and can someone give me a suggestion as to what to say.

I don't want to offend anyone or sound pushy in my letter.

Kind regards
    Helen from Australia

Researching Gosling, Hindmarsh, Jones, Norris, McDonald, Dunn, Spencer, Smith, Spengler, Grosert
    Australia, Essex, Little Holland, Clacton on Sea, Romford

oh yes I did that ,sent to all a certain surname on the Isle of Wight and got the right response ,including one man saying I sounded so nice he was sorry he was not related to me !!!! I say go for it what have you got to lose ??????????
    I just start with I hope you dont mind me writing to you ,are you related to so and so , I always give my phone number and a stamped addressed envelope makes it more likely they will answer you.
    Good luck

Comment

Thanks Val

I'm off to write the letter!

Kind regards
      Helen from Australia

Researching Gosling, Hindmarsh, Jones, Norris, McDonald, Dunn, Spencer, Smith, Spengler, Grosert

Comment

let us know the outcome

Comment

You might want to consider setting up an e-address just for genealogy. Then you can quote it in your letter without risking a deluge of unwanted messages into your main e-address inbox.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And Helen,

Don't forget that the posts on these boards can get picked up by Google. Perhaps - unless that is already a special e-address in your footer - you might be better off not quoting it in a way that can be picked up by spammers?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I did that here in New Zealand Helen. I was looking for one particular man, so wrote to everyone in the white pages that I could not identify as a known family member. The man I was looking for phoned me the next day which was wonderful. Another man just phoned for a chat, after more research I was able to link his family in with mine, but a couple of generations before either branch arived here in New Zealand! He was nice so it was good to talk to him!

Still another person got his father in England to email me as he was also interested in his family history. Same name but no link obvious as yet.

All in all, it was a very worthwhile exercise.

As it happens, I know some Goslings here in New Zealand, do you have a Kiwi branch?
              Christine
              Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
              Mary Jean Iron

Comment

I wrote to folk on the Isle of Man with the same surname as my friend (whose tree I was researching). They were all related and got a fabulous response, including confirmation of the tree and some family history. Got their names and addresses from phone book online. Good luck. Liz
                Liz

Comment

I have a Gosling at work.
                  Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Thank you all for that. I know I would be excited if someone sent me a letter, but didn't know if others would feel the same. Christine, my e address is used only for my family research. I have another 2 I use for other things.

My Goslings are from Essex (Little Holland and surrounds). It is not a common name in Australia, but appears to be as common as Jones and Smith in the UK.

I appreciate all the support and advice. Will let you know how it goes.
                    Helen from Australia

Comment

Hi Helen,

I've done the letter all around Australia bit. Sent a letter to every Ariel I could find in the phone books (except the ones I knew of course).

I got some really great replies even from people who had changed their name to Ariel after WW2 and come here. They were not related, but still interesting.

I've sent you a pm.

Comment

Working...
                      X