Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 1st May 2008 is........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 1st May 2008 is........

...........sally

Well done sally.......

way to go Sally..........good luck with the helpful bunch on here...

Comment

Wow Sally come on get all those ones out that you were stuck on before ,,,congratulations dear ;;
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

jibber, gabble.............. help!!! Oh how wonderful. Right, give me a moment or three!!!
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Well done, Sally!!!

Comment

Okay, I have several but the most interesting one I think is the one that I would like to start with - I don't hold out much hope but it might throw up some new ideas.

So, to set the scene:-

John George Sewell was born in 1850 in Norwich and on the certificate to his marriage to Mary Ann Hall in 1878 he claimed that his father was John Sewell, Tailor by trade, deceased.

I found this John Sewell, and did extensive research on him; discovering that he had been married twice - first to Rachel Littell in 1842 who died shortly after giving birth to their daughter Emma, and then again in 1853 to Ann Rackham. A few months after this, John cut his own throat because he had consumption or cancer and was in a great deal of pain and was running out of money.

In 1851, i.e. between these two marriages, John had his daughter Emma living with him, but no John George. In fact, John George as far as I can see is nowhere to be found in 1851, nor in 1861.

John Sewell's first wife, Rachel, had a twin sister Ann, and she remained very close with Emma through the years, but at no time did John George appear to be with her which seems to rule out my theory that Ann may have become close to father John after her sister's death and perhaps have been the mother of John George.

Then I spotted that (I think it was the 1881 census but can't be sure without checking) there was an Aunt Clara living with John George - widow, and her dead husband was Mark Sewell. So I started checking all the relations - nope. Nothing.
            EXCEPT - in 1861 this Aunt Clara and hubby Mark had with them an ll year old lad - John Sutton, and they seemed to be a little uncertain as to his origins! They had him down as their nephew, but were not sure where he was born. If this boy is John George, then the age is right - but whose son was he???? I have a gut feeling that this is my man (or my husbands actually, as it's his line) but I cannot find any link with Clara and Mark Sewell and this John Sutton. Clara's maiden name was Waller, and she was born 1813 - husband Mark Sewell was born 1819 ish.
            I found a birth for a John Sutton in Blofield in 1850, but it's not our man - that one died a few months after birth sadly.
            There is no corresponding John Sutton in following censuses, but John George Sewell appears as if by magic.

The thing is - why did "Aunt" Clara end up living with John George (so obviously close to him) when I can find absolutely nothing to link the two of them together?
            Now to the final bit of this story - My husband's grandmother had a box of clips and cuttings under her bed which were found after her death - they all related to a Philip Sewell who was Anna Sewell's Brother (of Black beauty fame). She constantly used to claim that if John George had had his rightful inheritence he would have been a wealthy man. This may just be family gossip and nothing to be relied upon

Right that's it for the first one
            Last edited by sally; 01-05-08, 23:38.
            Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

There was a John George Sewell born Towchester in 1850 Oct Dec qtr;;XV 387
              So Vol 15 page 387

Comment

yes, thanks Babs - I have ruled that one out. I should have put that in my blurb

Comment

Oh right well thats the only John George down for 1850 ,,all the others are just Johns mostly
                  have also ckecked 1849 last 2 qtrs and 1851 the 1st two qtrs so save anyone else and done it on find my past ;;
                  Last edited by borobabs; 02-05-08, 00:03.

Comment

Yes, and I have pursued them all, with no luck. There is no record that I can find of a John George Sewell, or John Sewell that fits the bill on the internet.

I have sort of come round to thinking that this man was not in fact John Sewell's son at all - that was merely used for convenience. Originally I had thought that perhaps Mark Sewell was a relation of the dead John, but there is no evidence to support this, and the dead John's daughter Emma is well documented along with other relations but no hint of John George.

I still feel that John Sutton shown with Clara, and described as her nephew is John George, but why and how????

Comment

Thank you for your interest Babs, I do appreciate it

Just to further clarify things - Mark Sewell had a brother, Charles, and a sister, Hannah. As far as I have discovered, neither of these are anything to do with John George.
                      Last edited by sally; 02-05-08, 00:09.

Comment

Well done Sally hope those walls come down.xxxxxxx
                        SBPF Wendy passed away in April 2019.

Comment

Hi Wenders - hope you are okay!

The second problem that I have is finding information on the Ormston family in Yorkshire.

I have Elizabeth Ormston who married my ancestor Thomas Wrightson in Smeaton in May 1840. He was a farmer, and Elizabeth's father was William Ormston, also a farmer - in fact they were neighbours. One of the witnesses on the marriage certificate was Isabell Ormston, who may have been Elizabeth's sister.
                          Any info would be much appreciated.

I will have to leave any more until tomorrow - my brain can't cope!

Comment

Another thing that I would dearly love to find, I think is almost impossible but I will put it here anyway.

My great grandfather, Henry (Heinrich) Josephy, first appears in this country in 1861. He came over from Mecklenburg Germany and was single at that time. He disappears in 1871 but is back in 1881 married to Emma David. Emma came from the same area that Henry was born in, and I like to think that he went back for her (and married her in Germany as there is no record in this country that I can find) and then came back again to finally settle in Leeds.

I am trying to find the record of their passage over here, both Henry's original trip, and the one after they were married. It would seem logical that they would have sailed from Hamburg as that is very close to Mecklenburg, and would probably have arrived in Hull. I do know that many of the German records were destroyed by fire, so this is probably a fruitless request to be honest. Incidentally, Henry had a brother, Bernard, who would have come over at the same time.

Comment

Snap Sally getting to late for me so must be for you night babe
                              will look tomorrow on FMP see if any ships from there on

Comment

Final one for tonight

During the war, there was a gentleman called David Makofski who devoted his time to finding employment for Jews in this country in order to help them escape the Nazi regime.

There is a man called Mr.Fritz Arnold who I have been unsuccessfully trying to trace.

He was a very educated and clever young man, and was born January 1911 in Vienna. At one time he was the director of a large wholesale clothing company in Vienna, and had the patent for Switzerland and Austria for Knickerbockers for men.

David Makofski wrote to my great grandfather who had a textile company in Leeds, on 24th August 1939 ,asking if he could place this man in employment,
                                and saying that he would be obliged to leave Switzerland soon. I have the letter, and it is so touching and tragic. I also have a letter sent to Fritz from David, saying that he was doing his best to get him into England, and hoping that there would be success before long. This is the heart rending letter send on 30th August 1939

"Dear Mr Arnold,
                                I wish to inform you that I am doing my best to obtain a permit for you to come to England, and trust it will not be long before I am successful. As you know, I have to find a position for you to enable you to train, and in view of the conditions just now, I find it very hard to do so. But I am sure in the course of a few weeks, you will be safe in England.
                                Trusting this finds you quite well,
                                yoursfaithfully.
                                D. Makofski

So, the thing is, I have been trying to find evidence that this man made it over here. I do know that my great grandfather was unable to take him on, but I have not been able to find any trace of him and he is haunting me. I suppose that he is representative of all the clever, innocent jews who were trying to escape the slaughter and I would so love to find him alive somewhere after the war.

Comment

I am definitely going to bed now - but will just clarify, if I can, the main brick wall:- i.e. who the flip is John George Sewell?

Born 1850 (that seems to be a consistent fact) in Norwich, and on one census he puts Great Yarmouth.
                                  Absolutely no sign of him in 1851, 6l or 7l.
                                  He first appears in 1881, married to Mary Ann and said that his father was John Sewell, a Tailor who was deceased. (See my first post). There were no Sewells as witnesses.
                                  In 1891 he had his Aunt Clara, widowed, living with him and his family.

Aunt Clara, previously married to Mark Sewell, does not appear to be any relation to John George, however, in 1861 she and Mark had an 11 year old boy called John Sutton living with them. They said that he was their nephew. The name John, and the age, tied up with John George. I cannot find this John Sutton, and therefore cannot rule out that the boy was indeed John George.

Definitely going to bed now

Comment

Oooh, I would like to have a go at this, but I'm not here until Tuesday! Let's hope someone has a big brainwave (sounds like you may need it! lol) ........Good Luck!!

Comment

Did Mark Sewell have any sisters? I was wondering if John was the illegitimate child of a sister and in the earlier census he was given his father's surname, but later reverted to Sewell for some reason or other....

Oh, I mustn't read any more as I don't have the time!!

Comment

Oh, those ancestry transcriptions! I love one of the Clara Sewells (not yours) on the 1891 whose relationship to head of household is apparently "Margaret in Full" but anyway, it might help if we have the census entries to consult (hmm, I'm sure I've had a look at this John George Sewell business before):

1891 St Clement, Norwich - Waterloo Road
                                        John Sewell Head M 41 Assurance Agent Norwich Norfolk
                                        Mary Ann Do Wife M 35 Do Do
                                        George Do Son S 11 Errand Boy Do Do
                                        Edith Do Daur S 7 Do Do
                                        Mary Ann Do Do S 5 Do Do
                                        Rose May Do Do S 2 Do Do
                                        Clara Do Aunt Widow 77 Unprofessed(?) Do Do
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X