Internet Problem ~ help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Problem ~ help please

Tonight Thursday, I am finding it difficult to get on line at the present time. When I do manage to get my 'home page' up it was only half of it, the righthand side was blank (like split down the middle).
    It took me 00.18.49 to get on line at a connection speed of 6.4Mbps.
    I could get Windows Mail to work and as a result of that it appears to activate the home page.
    Tuesday, afternoon I had a similar problem. Wednesday was as normal.
    Nothing has changed on my PC as far as I know.
    Is this a problem with my ISP server?
    It took me seven minutes on broadband just to get this 'Post a New Thread Screen' up. It also took me eight minutes to get onto the site.
    I have Avast for scanning my email and I thought that the Icon revolved while the PC was on but that is not happening.
    While I have been typing this I had a different circle revolving at the top of the home page and the lower task bar was still trying to load. After all this time 21.50 the task bar at last says Done.
    I have just tried to preview this thread and it is now 21.57
    Any ideas please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

wish I could help you Margaret , do you ever feel like throwing them out of the window??? I do

Comment

Val, I have just unistalled Avast ~ I know it is a risk but I have been able to log on a little easier.
      But something odd is happening somewhere along the line.
      The thought of a Mac is getting nearer. Then I will probably go mad trying to learn how to use it.
      I have tried to download AVG8 Free Version but after nearly 30 minutes I have a message with a RED X on it saying Internet Explorer will not allow download of exe - settings have changed. This means nothing at all to me.
      Why do we put ourselves through all this when all we need is a Quill Pen and Paper? (Plus a Post Office and they are rare!)
      I am going to watch TV for a change and then sleep on this lot. I am certain that Avast was main part of the problem. Now I am without any protection.
      Last edited by Margaret N; 01-05-08, 23:01.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
        I have tried to download AVG8 Free Version but after nearly 30 minutes I have a message with a RED X on it saying Internet Explorer will not allow download of exe - settings have changed. This means nothing at all to me.
        I think that might be something to do with "Tools - Internet Options - Security" - could it be that you have it set to high instead of medium?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite,

Thank you Security is set to Medium-High do you think I should change this?
          Margaret N

Comment

Um, I don't know! *waits for somebody who knows what they're talking about*
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X