William White the butcher of Twyford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William White the butcher of Twyford

I have been trying for years to find out about William White. His death cert says he was 50 when he died in 1836. He was a butcher and had a shop in Twyford, Hampshire. He was married to Joanna Purkis on the 15th Aug 1815, from Eling Hampshire. 1841 census shows his son George running the Butchers shop and his widow living in Otterbourn Hampshire. Joanna is now running a grocers shop with the help of her children.
    I am not sure that the age of death given on his death cert is correct and have not been able to find any record of his birth. I would love to be able to take this line back further but with out his birth cert am not sure of the names of his parents.
    Any help would get me going again.
    As I live in Spain I have a problem nipping down to the records office.

Hi John,

I regularly help with research for someone who is directly related to the Purkis family from Eling. I could ask him if he knows anything about your William White.

I'm a bit bothered that you say you have the death cert from 1836, as registration didn't begin until July 1837!

Comment

Where did William die? Was it in Otterbourn? I see from the 1851 census his family had apparently been there for some time (dau aged 28 b Otterbourn)

Trouble is, with a name like William White, how are you going to know it's the right entry, even if you do find his baptism?

Comment

Good grief John!

I got very excited for a while as my grandmother was Muriel Mary White and she married Cecil Henry Jeffcoat Purkis!!!

My Purkises are from Portsea, with close ties with the Naval Dockyards and the Navy (grandfather Cecil and his father Joseph in the RN as Engineers).

I have huge amounts of print-outs from the Hants Records Office on Purkises - my mum got them in the 1990s. I think most of them are for Portsmouth and district but I'll dig them out and have a look, if you can bear with me.

My grandmother Mimi's (Muriel Mary) grandfather was William White!!!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I might not be able to find William White, but I have found a Joanna Purkis on my print outs.

Joanna Purkis
          Parents William Purkis/Barbara
          Christening 15 Aug 1790 Eling

Could this be the correct one?
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes it is Elizabeth!

I've just emailed my Purkis contact.........

Comment

Merry, I think we have been here before with the Purkis clan!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

William and Barbara Purkis also had a son William.

Christened 28 October 1787 Eling
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

lol!! I presume you know all about the Purkis on the Rufus stone? My friend is trying to connect up! lol ....only a few hundred years to fill in!

John.....where are you?? Put that sangria down! lol

Comment

Yes, Merry. The Rufus Stone is well known to us!

Unfortunately our Purkis line has died out. My grandparents (Cecil Purkis) had three daugthers, and so did his brother Kenneth!

I can't get further back than the 1760s at present, despite years of trying!

I have so much information but can't tie it up with my earliest Purkis, James c. 1761. Probably married Catherine Seaford, or Catherine Stevens, or even both! LOL!
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

There is also Sarah Purkis

Christening 1 May 1785 Eling
                      Parents William and Barbara
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Monty
                        Thank you for all the information. The death cert is1838 not 36. Being a retired fitter I tend to press the wrong Key at times.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Where did William die? Was it in Otterbourn? I see from the 1851 census his family had apparently been there for some time (dau aged 28 b Otterbourn)

Trouble is, with a name like William White, how are you going to know it's the right entry, even if you do find his baptism?
                          He lived in Otterbourn Twyford and Colden Common

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            I might not be able to find William White, but I have found a Joanna Purkis on my print outs.

Joanna Purkis
                            Parents William Purkis/Barbara
                            Christening 15 Aug 1790 Eling

Could this be the correct one?
                            Hi Elizabeth
                            Yes this is the correct Joanna Purkis. I have not taken this line back any further as I got hooked on William White.
                            John

Comment

Thank's to all for the help. Had the same message on BG Forum since December and did not get one reply.
                              John

Comment

John, I was pleased we could help.

If you need any more help, just yell!
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

William White And Joanna Purkis

Thank you all for your efforts and I am sorry that I have not got back to you all before but with this and that plus a hart attack I have been bit out of contact. I still have not got any further with finding out about William or who his parents were. There was a second William White living in Twyford but he was the Blacksmith. His parents were John and Mary
                                  All the best
                                  John

Comment

Hello, I am researching Joanna Purkis, daughter of William Purkiss & Barbara Signn, christened at Eling, Hants. Does anyone have christenings for William and/or Barbara please?

Comment

Welcome to the forum

You can contact a member by clicking on their user name and select Private message from the drop down box to send them a message if their e mail address is still current.

Edna

Comment

Thank you, Edna!

Jan Blum

Comment

Working...
                                        X