X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this place? any ideas?

1851 census HO107; Piece: 1474; Folio: 27; Page: 46

9 New Rd

What is the place of birth for Anne Maria Sharratts age 12?

It is transcribed as Pakington, Surrey but that doesn't seem to exist. Anyone with any ideas?

I don't have access to the image, so this is a guess.

It couldn't be Pakenham, Suffolk

Or possibly Peckham, Surrey?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

No, neither of them. It definitely is Surrey but it does have a G in the place.

It looks like P then a or o then king then maybe an s then ton. I've tried all on google maps but nothing.

Comment

Looks like PAKINGSTON Surrey though I don't know if there is such a place - shall google it!
        Alison

Researching:
        CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

Not a thing!

Maybe it is Kingston Surrey and for some reason they added a bit in front of it because there was a squiggle on the original?
          Alison

Researching:
          CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

I would say it is Pakingston, could this be a mistake for Kingston, Surrey?

Comment

So what is the surname meant to be? That isn't yielding much either - and there is someone on the same folio down as "Kide" Is that for real?
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The surname is Sharratt. Often transcribed as Sherratt or many other wierd and wonderful ways.

Her father was widowed by 1861 and back in his birth place of Yoxall, Staffs. I may have found Anne Marie's marriage and her and hubby in 1861.

Mar qtr Lichfield 6b 469. married either Frederick Corbett or William Bailey.

There is an Ann Corbett born Brompton, London in Yoxall in 1861 husband Frederick.
                RG9; Piece: 1976; Folio: 137; Page: 21

Comment

Brompton is KensINGTON. Any chance her father was literate, but with filthy handwriting?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                    Brompton is KensINGTON. Any chance her father was literate, but with filthy handwriting?
                    Just found her in 1871 remarried to a George Fletcher and it now seems as though she was born in Kensington, Middlesex.

I'm going to assume the Kensington area.

Her father was a soldier.

Comment

Paddington? Not far from Kensington, though not in Surrey!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X