Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry is locking up

Please can anyone help me?
    A couple of days ago I logged in to Ancestry (after a couple of weeks break).
    After I started a search I was asked if I wanted to download the new reader software so I clicked on the download button .......and have regretted that movement ever since!
    Nothing happened and the whole thing froze on me and I had to close Outlook Express.
    Now every time I log in (to Ancestry) I can do a search, but once I try to go back the whole thing locks again. This also happens when I try to access Help. Can I have some advice from you experts out there?

Can you view a census image?
    If so just above the actual image there is an icon OPTIONS
    Click on this and select Standard quality images & Basic Image viewer.

See if that helps!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that but just pressing the button caused it to lock up again!!!

Sorry, must go now as I have Choir Practice tonight!
      Last edited by Shirley silver surfer; 30-04-08, 17:30. Reason: exiting system

Comment

Have you tried deleting temporary internet files?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Don't know if you mean that it keeps taking you back to asking you to download the enhanced viewer?

If so, I had that problem and got this reply from Ancestry.

The following steps have been developed to fully remove this viewer and eliminate possible existing errors that may be causing this unusual behavior. This "looping" problem with the installation of the Enhanced Viewer is rare, but the below should fix this error. These steps have worked almost without failure, provided that you go through every step below. Please carefully follow every step listed to ensure this is correctly addressed. There are many steps, but it is very important that you DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS BELOW.

Step I. Unregister and delete MFIMGVWR.OCX
          There is a file called mfimgvwr.ocx which may exist on your machine, which needs to be removed. This may have been created by previous viewings of our Images Online, though it may have been created via another source as well. Please make certain this is not on your computer by doing the following:

A. Select Start (in the bottom left corner of the Windows desktop), and choose Run from the menu that appears
          B. Type 'command' in the field given (without the quotation marks) and click the OK button
          C. In the Command window at the prompt, type ONE of the following, depending on what system type you have or if one of these has already been tried but failed):
          1. CD C:\Windows\System32 or
          2. CD C:\WinNT\System32 (on some Windows XP and 2000 systems) or
          3. CD C:\Windows\System (on Windows 9x and ME)
          D. The command prompt should change to C:\Windows\System32>. Type:
          regsvr32 /u mfimgvwr.ocx
          E. A small pop-up window will indicate that the unregister succeeded. Click OK.
          F. At the command prompt, type Exit and press the Enter key on your keyboard
          G. Click on the Start button in the bottom left once more, and choose Run again
          H. In the field given, type ONE of the following (depending on your Windows version):
          1. C:\Windows\System32 (on a Windows 2000 or XP machine)
          2. C:\Windows\System\ (on a Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, or ME machine)
          I. Scroll almost halfway down the list until you find 'mfimgvwr.ocx' (without the quotation marks)
          J. Click one time on that listed file to select it
          K. Press the Delete key on your keyboard while this file is selected
          L. Confirm the deletion when prompted, then close the System (or System32) folder

Step II. Clear Temporary Internet Files and Verify Security and Privacy Settings
          Next, you will want to clear your cache (Temporary Internet Files). This can be accomplished by:

A. Make sure all Internet Explorer windows are closed completely (not just minimized; they must be closed)
          B. Select Control Panel from the Windows Start menu (you might need to choose Start, then the Settings folder, then Control Panel)
          C. Double click on Internet Options (you may need to first choose Network and Internet Connections)
          D. Click on the "Delete Files..." button, checking the "Delete all offline content" checkbox in the small window that pops up
          E. Click the OK button
          F. Once the hourglass goes away, click on the "Delete Cookies..." button, clicking OK in the small window that pops up
          G. Click on the "Settings..." button, choosing "View Objects..." from the next window that appears
          H. Delete the "MFInstallClass" file if it is listed
          I. Close the window, and click on OK in the Settings window

Next, you will need to verify your security settings will allow proper coding from our site. This can be accomplished with these steps:

A. If you have closed the Internet Options window from the above steps, follow steps 1-3 above
          B. In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab and make sure Internet is selected
          C. Click on the Custom Level button
          D. Check all of the following items to make sure they are set correctly; depending on which version of Windows is installed, some of them may not appear:
          1. ActiveX controls and plugins
          a. Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls: Enable
          b. Binary and script behaviors: Enable
          c. Download signed ActiveX controls: Enable
          d. Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
          e. Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
          f. Run ActiveX controls and plugins: Enable
          g. Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting: Enable
          2. Downloads: All 2 or 3 should be set to Enable
          3. Java VM or Microsoft VM: Medium Safety
          4. Scripting: all 2 or 3 should be set to Enable
          5. Click on OK, and answer Yes to the warning message that appears
          E. Click on the Privacy tab and make sure the slider is set to Medium (third tick from the bottom)
          F. Click on the General tab and choose the "Settings" button
          G. In the next window, select the "View Files" button
          H. From the File menu at the top of the next window, choose Select All
          I. Press the Delete key on your keyboard and click Yes or OK when prompted with a warning about deleting the files
          J. Click on the OK button to close Internet Options

Step III. Disable ALL security software (Norton Internet Security, Ghost Surf, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc.)
          If you have software such as those listed above running, you will want to temporarily disable all of these. In many cases, you can locate an icon for this software in the bottom right corner of Windows (next to the clock). If you see such an icon, right-clicking on it will often provide either a Disable or an Exit option. However, if this does not turn off your software, you will need to consult the instruction manual or Help file for that software for further assistance.

Step IV. Install the Enhanced Viewer Again
          To do this, go to a specific image in the census. When asked, indicate that you want to Run the download (not Save or Cancel). Once the installation is successful, click OK, and then click Continue. You should be taken to the image you were attempting to view and no longer see this looping behavior.

Comment

Thanks for both the suggestions. I will give them both a try. (Will need to print out those instructions first!!!!!)

Comment

Well.......
              I followed all the instructions to the letter and.....When I pressed the download button everything went quiet and the program ceased to respond!

I didn't get as far as running the download.
              Please will somebody tell me how to contact Ancestry without going through the website.

Thank you Margaret for sending all those instructions - I have made a copy.

Comment

I'm betting it's something to do with anti-virus software, a firewall, or something like that. I wonder if this link will take you to their "contact support" page or if you will have the same problem with it:
                Email Ancestry Support
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I did manage to email Ancestry on 30-04-2008 and have heard precisely zilch.
                  Can anyone else make a suggestion? I'm not getting my money's worth at present!

I have just decided to try Margaret's instructions once more....and....IT WORKED!!!

I can only presume its because I stopped literally every bit of security software - incuding email scanning, pop-up blocking and phishing protection (I use Norton Internet Security). This just proves that persistence pays off.
                  Thanks Margaret in Burton!
                  Last edited by Shirley silver surfer; 05-05-08, 19:53.

Comment

This is probably no consolation Shirley but I have been having trouble with Ancestry for a couple of days.

I cannot load any images at all. As soon as I click on the little spyglass to view an image, the page appears to load but freezes and then nothing.

I'm off to clear out all temp files, cookies etc

Heres hoping
                    Allie
                    Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Hi Allie, As you can see the problem has been removed - I can recommend following the instructions listed by Margaret in Burton and stopping every single bit of Internet protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley silver surfer View Post

I can only presume its because I stopped literally every bit of security software - incuding email scanning, pop-up blocking and phishing protection (I use Norton Internet Security). This just proves that persistence pays off.
                        Thanks Margaret in Burton!
                        I have seen that other people have been having problems with Ancestry and Norton. It appears to be their browser helper object (is this the phishing protection) and if you disable that for Ancestry it all works ok.
                        Christine in Portugal

Comment

I got that solution from Ancestry ages ago.

I have also found at the moment that Internet Explorer is locking up but Firefox is fine.

Comment

Oooo Margaret .... just read your instructions for Shirley ...... I don't think I'd dare start with that.......... with my memory, I'd get lost half way through.

The only problem I'm having is the 'enhanced viewer ad' ,...it comes up everytime I want to look at an image ....... I just press 'continue without enhanced viewer' ...and it's fine.

I think I can put up with that ... lol

Jean
                            Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Originally posted by Jean and Tonic View Post
                              Oooo Margaret .... just read your instructions for Shirley ...... I don't think I'd dare start with that.......... with my memory, I'd get lost half way through.

Jean

Jean

lol

Just print it out first and tick it off as you go. It does work I promise, but as it says, you must follow all of the instructions. They did come directly from Ancestry.

Comment

Not sure if this is anything to do with it, but I always use Firefox and lately I have to remove all the 'adblocks' if I want ot do anything on there now.

It's soooo annoying as now I have to put up with all the flashing ads etc.!
                                Alison

Researching:
                                CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                                http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                                http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

I use Firefox and use the Adblocker, but I have no problems on Ancestry.
                                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                  X