No announcement yet.

Me again LOL Files in Messenger query??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me again LOL Files in Messenger query??

while trying to get rid of programmes I no longer use I put in the search box the word messenger have found lots of files some have the transcript of chats I have had on msn??? how did they get there and can I safely delete all messenger files, I'm not worried if I lose msn as I can always download it again.

Val, if you sign onto Messenger and click on "Tools" then "Options" and then "Messages" there is a tick box in the Message History for "Automatically keep a history of my conversations". Perhaps you have it ticked?

As for what files you can safely delete, I'll leave that to somebody more expert than me! But you could try deleting them, but don't empty the recycle bin until you've made sure Messenger still works, couldn't you? Then if there is a problem you can put them back.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

oh thanks Kite have done that now and may take a chance as I can always re install msn cant I ???

Comment

Yes Val

Comment

uninstalled it got rid of the files and started again

Comment

Hi Val,

You can delete the transcripts of your chats (message history) in 2 ways that I know of.

They will all be in a folder in your documents called received files so can be deleted from there or you can right click on an individual contact which brings up a list including "view", that will then have an option message history, if you left click that you can see all the chat and have the option to delete.

I always keep the chats for a little while as sometimes I want to check back what has been said and then I delete them.
            Christine in Portugal

Comment

oh thanks Christine wish I had know that earlier, I thought maybe it was what was slowing my pc down all those files but it does not seem any faster

Comment

Val, did you empty the recycle bin and run a disk defrag yet after deleting the files? The space won't really be freed up until you've done that.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

oops er NO thanks again Kite

Comment

it took 10 seconds to empty it so thats a good sign eh ????????????

Comment

Working...
                    X