Highgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highgate

Please does anybody know which reg district this would have been in .... 1830 +

(that's Highgate, Middx)
    I can't find it listed

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

I don't think it was an actual District was it?

The nearest area would have been either Hampstead or Finchley I reckon

Joanie

Comment

I lived in Highgate many years ago.

My grandmother did too, before her marriage.

What street was it? It might depend which part of Highgate.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Joan
        I'm totally confused as it appears as a place of birth on some of the censuses but looking in the Atlas it's near Hampstead, Islington, Camden and Hornsey

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hello Elizabeth .... we posted at the same time !

I don't have a street or any definite information ... think I've found myself another nice brick wall ... it's given as a place of birth

Comment

Rachel, this is why it might be easier if we know the street. The part of Highgate I lived in was close to Hornsey. North Highgate is close to Barnet and Haringey. South Highgate is close to Holloway, and the western part close to Hampstead.
            Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 29-04-08, 21:55.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

We crossed again!!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

I'm 99% sure it's Edmonton district.

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                  Rachel, this is why it might be easier if we know the street. The part of Highgate I lived in was close to Hornsey. North Highgate is close to Finsbury. South Highgate is close to Holloway, and the western part close to Hampstead.
                  Unfortunately, all I can say is that she was born abt 1832 and in 1851 she's working in Islington, giving her place of birth as Highgate, Middx.

1861 she's living in St James, Westminster and gives her place of birth as St James

1871 her place of birth is once again Highgate ...

1881 .... Westminster

Comment

Erm...maybe I'm being particularly dim, but why do you need to know the registration district she was born in if she was born before civil reg began??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      Erm...maybe I'm being particularly dim, but why do you need to know the registration district she was born in if she was born before civil reg began??

I was trying to get an idea of who her parents might be ... I was pretty sure I found her family months ago in another county, but now there's a question about her father

Think I'm clutching at straws, so will have to give up for now

thank you all ....... maybe tomorrow

Comment

You're basically going to have to assume 9 more than likely) It's Camden and then have a search at the LMA. Next check bordering Islington parishes.

Have you got a marriage for her and Fathers name?

Comment

Hi Peppi
                          I don't have a marriage cert as yet

There's a marriage on Freebmd and Ancestry which fits .... but the IGI has an extracted entry for this marriage, naming her father as James .... which is not the person I thought it should be

I may have to send for the cert and see if the ages match, but was hoping it wouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Can anyone else join in to "help"?

Comment

Rachel, could you post details of the person in question?

Then we could send out a search party through the censuses, IGI and Pallot's Index etc to see if we can ferret something out!
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

I'd prefer not to post details on here
                                but if anyone has a fresh brain cell, a bit of time and would like me to pm the 'story so far' .... I'll try to write it down concisely with the census refs.

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-04-08, 13:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X