Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

I'm trying to find the parents and siblings of an Edward Paul born in 1812 (give or take a year) in Winchester.
    The reason is that some time ago I'm pretty sure I found one of my relatives (John Edward Adams b.1848 Hampshire) on the 1851 census living with his aunt and uncle, Edward Paul and Harriet (Lyons). To confirm if it is the right one I need to see if any of Edwards sisters married an Adams (or possibly a Luxon - unlikely since her family were from the West Country).
    I've checked through his wifes side and can't find any there, but I've hit a wall with Edward.

I've also tried going the other way through Johns family, but unfortunately his fathers name is also John!

Don't worry, I don't expect anyone to make head nor tail of my ramblings, but a bit of help finding Edwards parents/siblings would be very appreciated!

Hi Kattsay,

I just thought I'd look at the 1851 census first, but I'm not sure I'm looking at the right people?

Edward Paul 38 bookbinder b Hants Winton
    Harriet 42 b Southampton
    Children Harriet, William, Frances, and Walter and no nephew???

Comment

Oops, forget that! It's the 1861 census that has them with John Adams aged 4, but he's listed as grandson, not nephew!

Comment

It looks like their daughter, Harriet, married a Mr John Adams:

Marriages Jun 1856
        ADAMS John Southampton 2c 9 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        GROVES Elizabeth Southampton 2c 9
        PAUL Harriet Margaret Southampton 2c 9 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        SLADE Joseph Southampton 2c 9

Comment

Harriet and John Adams are on the 1861 census with a two year old and 7mth old twins, which is probably why granny and granddad are looking after their eldest!!! lol

Comment

I'm hoping we don't need to go down the Winchester route now as I don't think the records will be online anywhere :o

Comment

John E Adams is still with his Paul grandparents in 1871.

Comment

Woah, thanks Merry!
                I have absolutely no idea why John is listed as their nephew in my notes or why it says 1851, I must've had a mad moment!
                Hmmm, I'm still not certain this is the right family though. I'd been about 80% sure that John Edward Adams mother had been a woman called Matilda Luxon, especially since Johns first child had Matilda as her middle name.
                Could you tell me the names of the 2 year old and the twins, to see if any matches come up there?

Wouldn't it be nice if our ancestors had given their children unusual names? Might have made it a bit easier for us find them! :D

Thanks again!

Comment

Who did your John E Adams marry? (and when?)

Anyway....the other children of Harriet Margaret Paul and John Adams (he was from Bath, Somerset) were:

Frank William b abt 1859
                  Harriet b 1860
                  Annie b 1860
                  Walter Thomson b abt 1862
                  Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 29-04-08, 21:25.

Comment

Do you mean you are looking for a child the product of this IGI extracted marriage?

MATILDA JANE LUXON
                    Marriages:
                    Spouse: JOHN ADAMS
                    Marriage: 15 AUG 1841 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire
                    Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      MATILDA JANE LUXON
                      Marriages:
                      Spouse: JOHN ADAMS
                      Marriage: 15 AUG 1841 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire
                      Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

1851 census:

John Adams 32 b Portsea Hants Sergent Royal Marines
                      Matilda Adams 29 b Southsea Hants
                      Samuel 5 b Southsea
                      John 3 b Southsea
                      Edward 1 b Portsea

So this John is the age you mentioned in your first post (on the right census) and he is roughly ten years older than John E Adams. The other thing is, this one is born Portsea which is by Portsmouth and the other one was born in Southampton. So quite a difference in their birth place and age.

Comment

Thanks!
                        John E Adams married Lucy Veale in 1887...
                        No name matches except for Edward (and Frances, but that came down from Lucy Veales side of the family any way), though I won't rule them out completely. It's just unusual because this part of the family use a lot of the same family names.

I can see John Adams (Jnr and Snr) are going to give me the run around!

Comment

He does have the same middle name though:

JOHN EDWARD ADAMS
                          Event(s):
                          Birth:
                          Christening: 31 DEC 1848 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire,Parents:
                          Father: JOHN ADAMS
                          Mother: MATILDA
                          Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

So, I'm a bit confused. One of these two is the one you are after? Does that mean the pauls are nothing to do with you, or the Luxon's are nothing to do with you, or are they interconnected? (Or don't I want to know???!!! lololol )

Comment

Originally posted by Kattsay View Post
                            Thanks!
                            John E Adams married Lucy Veale in 1887...
                            No name matches except for Edward (and Frances, but that came down from Lucy Veales side of the family any way), though I won't rule them out completely. It's just unusual because this part of the family use a lot of the same family names.

I can see John Adams (Jnr and Snr) are going to give me the run around!

Well I can see a John Adams aged 43 b Southsea on the 1891. His wife is Lucy aged 24 from Cornwall and they have one child - John aged 2, b Cornwall. This would appear to be the son of Matilda (Luxon) and John Adams.

The marriage is in Falmouth which would make sense for this couple.

Comment

1851 census:

John Adams 32 b Portsea Hants Sergent Royal Marines
                              Matilda Adams 29 b Southsea Hants
                              Samuel 5 b Southsea
                              John 3 b Southsea
                              Edward 1 b Portsea

So this John is the age you mentioned in your first post (on the right census) and he is roughly ten years older than John E Adams. The other thing is, this one is born Portsea which is by Portsmouth and the other one was born in Southampton. So quite a difference in their birth place and age.
                              GAH! How did I not find that before? That looks like them, John and Lucys children were born in Portsea so they would've stayed in the area. Also they had children called Samuel, John and Edward so this fits.
                              Thankyou Merry, I would've been going right down the wrong path otherwise!:o

Comment

Do the Portsea people have anything to do with the Southampton people, or was that just a confusion??!! lol

Comment

He does have the same middle name though:

JOHN EDWARD ADAMS
                                  Event(s):
                                  Birth:
                                  Christening: 31 DEC 1848 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire,Parents:
                                  Father: JOHN ADAMS
                                  Mother: MATILDA
                                  Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

So, I'm a bit confused. One of these two is the one you are after? Does that mean the pauls are nothing to do with you, or the Luxon's are nothing to do with you, or are they interconnected? (Or don't I want to know???!!! lololol )
                                  It would seem the Pauls are nothing to do with me!

Comment

Oh good!! You wouldn't want Winchester research! lol

Comment

PHEW!
                                      You must excuse me, I had a 3 hour exam today and my brains not what it should be! LOL

Thanks for all your help Merry

Comment

John and Matilda ADAMS

I am related to John Adams and Matilda Luxon via son Samuel. Would love to share / swap infromation with you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X