General Paralysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Paralysis

I think some time ago there was a definition on the site for "general paralysis". Unfortunately I did not make a note of it and now it has cropped up - a male who was in a lunatic asylum died of general paralysis.

Could someone please refresh my memory.

Thank you....Jean

This was the tersiary, or 'end-point', stage of syphilis, which was unfortunately rather too common 50 or 60 years ago, before an effective treatment was found. And of course women were often infected by 'straying' husbands without knowing it - their symptoms could be hidden for many years, until the mental effects became evident - then they got carted off to the 'loony bin', poor souls.

It was known as GPI, or General Paralysis of the Insane - a harsh-sounding term nowadays, but they were less 'PC' then.

You might find more info if you google it.

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

General Paralysis

Thank you Bee - I will google.

Jean

Comment

Syphilis was the "AIDS" of years ago, regarded with horror and not talked about, but it was a very common infection.

The final, tertiary stage, often occurred years after the original infection. "General paralysis" or "general paralysis of the insane" was considered a kinder way of saying "syphilis".
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've just re-examined my "general paralysis" death cert. Died in the County Lunatic Asylum aged 39, general paralysis 8 months, dysentery 10 days. I had previously assumed he drank himself to death.

His wife died aged 41, 12 years later in hospital, of uterine cancer. So I don't know whether he gave her "the clap".

Not a happy end for either of them. She left two children.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

How horrible. I think uterine cancer is one of those that is hard to detect until its too late - they wouldn't have had routine screening then either. But I would have thought that if it was known that her husband had syphilis she would have been checked out too, as well as the children.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X