Missing in 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1901

Thomas Harvey Wall, a gas fitter aged 66 b Lambeth & his wife Sarah Anne aged 65 b Hackney.

This is the reference for 1881:

RG11
    Piece 0549
    Folio 18
    Page Number 29

Also missing is their son Arthur Wall aged 38 b Newington

I assume the surname is mistranscribed, but I cannot find them.

Can anyone find the family, please?

(NB in 1891, Sarah is down as G A Wall! which confused me for a bit!)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Hi Phoenix

Have you tried searching the area by enumeration district where you expect them to be in 1901?
    It does take a long time to do but it paid off for me as I found my William Bates aged 10 mistranscribed as Bales with his mum and sisters and they had even got his relationship to head as 'Officer" No wonder I couldn't find him!!!

Comment

I've been looking at TNA indexes (because they show occupations), but all the gas* I have looked at are other people :(

Do you know for definite they are both still alive (Thos and SA)?

Comment

This is best mate's family. So far as I am aware, they were alive in 1901 - at least there are no obvious candidates for their deaths.

Wall is a bummer of a name, and the extended family delights in playing hide and seek and doing unexpected things.

I spent all Saturday at TNA and managed to find a lunatic sister in Cane Hill and a son with a married daughter.

I begin to wonder whether they emigrated, or went to live in another part of the country: Sarah's mum died in Neath RD, so perhaps they went to Wales?
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

are you saying he would be 66 in 1901 ??? if so how about this death
          Thomas Wall
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
          Year of Registration: 1889
          Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
          Age at Death: 53
          District: Chelsea (1841-1981)
          County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
          Volume: 1a
          Page: 203 (click to see others on page)

there are quite a few deaths for a Thomas Wall between 1881 and 1901 so maybe he died
          Last edited by Guest; 28-04-08, 19:26.

Comment

Thanks for looking, Val!

Chelsea is a bit out of area, but anything is possible. I found really convincing deaths in the 1880s, then turned the family up in the census in 1891. There were an awful lot of Thomas Walls. I suspect that one died and the spouse is (say) with a married daughter under son-in-law's surname, but the GR site really hates you searching without exact surnames.

The whole blinky family is the same. There are about three Edwin Walls, but you only seem to find one on each census. If we knew how one of them managed to conceal himself, we might find the rest.

Comment

In 1891 they are in the parish of St Mary Newington which is in St Saviour Southwark District. I think this may be Sarah's death:

Deaths Mar 1892
              Wall Sarah Ann 56 St. Saviour 1d 95

Comment

Merry
                I shall go away and weep quietly to myself. That is almost certainly Sarah's death.
                Thank you.

Comment

*passes tissue*

Comment

Working...
                  X