Clear All

• Is it likely? 1851/1861 Census question

I have in 1851 the following

In Hackney

Edward Phillips 66 b Reading Berks Occ Tailor/Chelsea Pensioner
    Elizabeth Phillips 8 b Bethnal Green
    Mary Phillips 51 b Limehouse
    Sarah Sharp 18 b Bethnal Green

Sarah is Mary's daughter by her first marriage.

In 1861 there is a possible for Mary and Elizabeth in Hackney Workhouse but the place of birth for them is Reading, Berkshire.

Is it likely that they would be in the WH under Berks due to the husbands place of birth? Or am I barking up the wrong tree :D

I hope this makes sense!
    Sue

I would think it fairly likely that's them, as if you go back to 1851 and look for Phil(l)ips people born in Reading there's no one to fit the details of Mary and Elizabeth (at least I couldn't see any!)

Comment

Could it be that Edward and Mary's birthplaces have been accidentally swopped on the 1851?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you got Edward's death cert? (I wondered if he died in the WH?)

Comment

There is a possible marriage for Edward and Mary in Jun 1842 Stepney, but Mary is a Mary Ann on that one.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Merry - I'd looked for them in 1851 b Reading and couldn't find them either!

Kiterunner - Mary was born in Stepney!

Merry (again!) - I haven't got his death cert. As Mary's second husband he's not in "my family" so to speak!! I've had a look at the indexes and there are so many possible Edward Phillips (none in Hackney tho') that I could waste a lot of money before I got the right one!

Mary's first husband and his family were in and out of the workhouse like a cuckoo clock so it really wouldn't surprise me if she was in there!

Kite runner - I've just seen your post re marriage - I do have that cert! Edward Phillips m Mary Ann Sharp, widow, mn Paxman. Apr 1842

Thanks for looking
            Last edited by Sue from Southend; 28-04-08, 11:48. Reason: To add reply to Kiterunner!
            Sue

Comment

Working...
            X