German help please / American Meteorological Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German help please / American Meteorological Society

My great-grandfather Eugen Hermann Friedrich, supposedly born in America (don't know what state) in about 1888 - his parents Carl and Anna (nee Schmidt) got married in Nuremberg in 1883 and it says on their marriage certificate that Carl's mother Therese (nee Bauer) was living in America - the story is that Carl and Anna had two sons in America and then Carl died and Anna returned to Germany with the two boys. The other son is supposed to be called Otto Friedrich and to have worked in an observatory on the Zugspitze mountain. I've been googling around and found one match which must be him - not sure if this link will take you to the Google match or not:
    "hochsten Einwohner des deutschen" - Google Search
    Anyway, it says REVIEW.It SPECIAL PAPERS ON GENERAL METEOROLOGY.---
    Friedrich, Otto. Vorn hochsten Einwohner des deutschen Reiehs, p. 152-15 [Description of Zugspitze meteorological observatory, by the observer]

I'm assuming that "vorn" is probably supposed to be "von" and "Reiehs" is supposed to be "Reichs", but anyway, when I click on the link I get an American Meterological Society AMS Journals "Online Server Error" page. And using the AMS's advanced search, I can't find the article.

Any ideas how I could find a copy of this article? Or can anybody find any other reference to him anywhere? There are some more famous people called Otto Friedrich, which doesn't help, but if it mentions that he was on the Zugspitze then it should be him.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

"vorn" is possibly "vom" - the usual contraction of "von dem"? My grammar is a bit iffy - and that's a technical point. I thought it likely mainly because "rn" and "m" look very alike.

I'd say it means: "From the highest inhabitant in the German kingdom."

Is there an article in Google Books - does it have a German section?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, that's what I thought it meant too, Christine. I spent quite a while searching Google books and got nowhere. Perhaps I'll have another look at the American Meterological Society site and see if I can find a way to ask them about it.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, that's really weird - the link in the first post on here just brings up this very thread now! I hope I can find the American Metereological Society website some other way....
        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
        X