• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS and IP ??

OK good people ;)
    what is DNS & what is IP ?
    and why don't they want to talk
    ?

DNS = Domain Name Service. What error message are you getting, exactly?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

the message exactly is:
      "DNS unable to resolve IP addresses"

Comment

What the DNS does is translate a 'human readable' Web address (e.g., www.familytreeforum.com) into a 'computer readable' IP (Internet Protocol) number (e.g., 132.76.0.128). It sounds as though your DNS (or more accurately, your Internet Service Provider's DNS) is not functioning for some reason - i.e., it can't figure out what IP number matches the address you're trying to connect to. Although if you can get to this site, it would seem to be working. If the problem persists, give your ISP a call or send them a message.

HTH -

Tim
        Last edited by Canadian Cousin; 28-04-08, 01:43.
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

TThanks Cousin & Kiterunner,
          Yes our telecom is at fault, i think. Lots of my neighbours are having similar problems. Seems Telstra is updating its service...mmmmmmmmmmmm...i am trying to edify myself on these matters, and slowly, slowly am learning.

Comment

Contacting the ISP

It is all very well saying 'just give your ISP a call' but how do i know who to call and how?

Hugo

PS My grand-daughter is not here so I cannot ask her.

Comment

Hi Hugo,

I don't know where you live, so I'm not sure how you access the Internet. I live in Canada, and my Internet Service Provider (ISP) is the same company that provides my cable television. Other people get their Internet service through the telephone company or from a third-party. Basically it's whoever you pay for Internet access. Presumably any company providing Internet access has a Web site, which should a Customer Support telephone number and/or e-mail address. If you can't find their Web site, this information is probably printed on your monthly (?) bill.

Hope this clarifies things -

Tim
              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Hugo, could it be Orange?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Canadian Cousin,
                  Yes you clever person. My ISP is the telephone company and I finally rang them and was told to check cookies (did they mean chocolate ones ;) )...but they were OK and talked me through all the settings to make sure that I could comunicate with my DNS and IP ssssss. (i think)
                  Well i'm learningI hope

Comment

Working...
                  X