Croydon, Surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croydon, Surrey

Is anyone planning a visit to the Croydon, Surrey registry office?

I'm looking for a (probably spring/summer) 1938 marriage but I'm reluctant to pay £10+ just to confirm that she was unable to provide her father's name - which is the information I'm really after. I wonder if she made a name up or left it blank?

The couple were from Scotland but married in Croydon.

If anyone is about to pay a visit there, is there any chance they could email me and I'll give them the names of the happy couple? I wouldn't need a copy of the certificate - just the name of the father of the bride, if shown?

Thank you.

Kate

The only way to get the information you require is to buy the certificate - Register Offices will not let you look through the books.

If, however, you happen to know the name of the church where they married, someone could certainly look that up in the church records.

English certs are £7, by the way!

OC

Comment

You don't say what year. The church might be on Parish registers or Hugh Wallis.

Comment

BC

1938, so too late for the IGI.

OC

Comment

Oh and Kate......

Welcome to the boards and please keep posting :D

I'm from Croydon, though I know that's not much help ;)
          Alison

Researching:
          CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

My mum was born in Croydon in 1938, didn't know that until about 5 years back, lol

Welcome to the site Kate.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome (I've been 'lurking' for a wee while, but decided to join in - even though there's not a drop of English blood in me, as far as I know!)

Sorry - I'm so used to the Scottish boards and even some Irish ones; I didn't know you couldn't search the books for the marriage. Scotlands People really has spoiled me for doing research online - they are wonderful and not expensive at all, and with so much information on each certificate - makes me proud to be Scottish! Wish the Irish would follow suit and make it easier to trace ancestors online.

Ach weel - back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Kate

The only way to get the information you require is to buy the certificate - Register Offices will not let you look through the books.

If, however, you happen to know the name of the church where they married, someone could certainly look that up in the church records.

English certs are £7, by the way!

OC
                I'm not sure at all, but I think they marrried in a Registry Office, not a church.

Comment

In that case, you will have to buy the cert.

Yes, there is a big difference between English research and Scottish research. I have a foot in both camps and was amazed at how fast I could progress with the Scottish side, compared to the English.

Still, it's only money.....

OC

Comment

OC Oooops !! missed that

Comment

Working...
                    X