Hard's of Wandsworth(Mortlake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard's of Wandsworth(Mortlake)

I've been looking at my dad's first wife in hope's of finding a bit about him too,Ethel L Hards was born in the last qtr of 1914(1d,1173),she died Ethel Hatton in 1965(5d,881).

I found Lily Bertha Hards,and Arthur George Hards,who i believe were her parent's, and Lily Bertha hards(b.Groves),and Arthur's marriage in 1911 as well.

However in 1916 i have what i think is Ethel's sister Mabel leaving school,and Lily is noted as her guardian,not parent,hmm.

If anyone is also doing these Hard's i'd be interested in hearing from you,Lily didn't die until 1961,so i'm hoping to find somebody living who may remember them and may even have photo's.

As way of a ps,does anyone know if Arthur is short for Artamus??
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Just to answer your PS, Alanjohn, I am sure that someone registered as Artamus might well call himself Arthur -I have a Tertius who always called himself George! (Well, wouldn't you?!)

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable about these things than I can answer your other queries
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by alanjohn View Post
      However in 1916 i have what i think is Ethel's sister Mabel leaving school,and Lily is noted as her guardian,not parent,hmm.
      Could Mabel be Arthur's much younger sister? Maybe if his parents had died her brother and his wife might become her guardians?

Have you found Arthur in 1891/1901? I guess he's the one born 1884 in Wandsworth .....I couldn't see him.

Comment

Oops, got him in 1901....not with parents, though (b Streatham)
        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 27-04-08, 21:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          Could Mabel be Arthur's much younger sister? Maybe if his parents had died her brother and his wife might become her guardians?

Have you found Arthur in 1891/1901? I guess he's the one born 1884 in Wandsworth .....I couldn't see him.
          Yep,Arthur George Hards B.dec 1884.
          He's also got a WW1 record,which is on A2A,he died 20/01/1918,age 33.
          I had a peek at my note's,i think he's down as a 17 year old clerk in the 1901 census.

I've got a few clue's from the electoral roll,thanks to Richmond Local Studies,their address seems to stay as Avondale Road from about 1916 onward's,it's turning out to be a bit more interesting than my own direct tree,as i said i'm not any sort of blood relation to any of the Hard's,but due to my dad's marriage to Ethel i have school book's,and several bit's and bob's which i think would be of interest to anyone researching Hard's.

Up until 1959 both my dad and Ethel,and Lily were even living in the same street.

Comment

"Could Mabel be Arthur's much younger sister? Maybe if his parents had died her brother and his wife might become her guardians?"
            I don't believe so,both Mabel and Ethel's birth's give's the mother's maiden name as Grove's,and in July 1911 i have Arthur G Hard's marriage to Lily B Grove's at Wandsworth,hmm.

Oh,and another name query,Effie,short for Ethel?Anyone.
            Last edited by alanjohn; 29-04-08, 20:51. Reason: editing

Comment

When you said Mabel was leaving school in 1916 I thought you meant she was aged 12 or 14 or whatever, but she must have only been about 5 or under. Did you mean starting school, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                When you said Mabel was leaving school in 1916 I thought you meant she was aged 12 or 14 or whatever, but she must have only been about 5 or under. Did you mean starting school, by any chance?
                Oops,sorry.:o
                She was born 27/10/1916,she left school in 1931,she was attending Barnes Central girl's school.

Comment

Working...
                X