Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census

hi,

where do i go to, to order a copy of a page of this? i know its £45 but thats where my knowledge ends. (i do know the address of the family in 1911).
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Online enquiry form here

About us | Contact us
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thank you.

Comment

very impressed! its here already.

however i'm disapointed as my dad always told me that his mums 2 brothers were older than her. she is the only child listed on the census. so i'm £45 worse off and still none the wiser as to when arthur and albert wood were born!

Comment

How annoying!

If they were younger (ie born after the 1911 census) then at least one of them should have mum's maiden name on the birth indexes. (I've forgotten if there was a problem with either no matches, or too many matches!)

Might they have been staying with relatives? How long had the parents been married?

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-of-2 View Post
            very impressed! its here already.

however i'm disapointed as my dad always told me that his mums 2 brothers were older than her. she is the only child listed on the census. so i'm £45 worse off and still none the wiser as to when arthur and albert wood were born!
            At least you got to see the original handwriting

I ordered up a 1911 Census sheet last year - and was delighted with the info on it - best bit was the handwriting. Some of the details were a bit incorrect, but overall it was worth it. So long as you have the correct address.........

Comment

Maybe they were older, but they were away from home that night and will turn up when the indexed census is available online.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

yes seeing their handwriting is nice. in the box for number of children for married women it says 1. so this means Hilda was the eldest.

they were meant to have been born 1907 and 1908. the problem is wood is a common name in the bradford area - and there are quite a few listed. i havent looked for any born after nan but i will do as MMN should be listed.

Comment

my dad always told me that his mums 2 brothers were older than her.
                  sorry to say this but my dad was wrong - i have found albert - born 1912 peterborough! so they moved sometime after april 1911 and before sept quarter 1912. now to try and find arthur!

Comment

I was intending to contact Bradford RO about a family of mine to see how much it'd cost to have them do a search for children of a named couple over a 10-year period. I already have some of them, but I suspect several were born and died between censuses.
                    It might be worth your while doing the same - I'll let you know the price when I hear from them.

A lot of Bradford births are now on the Yorkshire UKBMD site, but I'm not sure what date they go up to, and they haven't entered mothers' maiden names yet.

Comment

Yummy

Disappointing for you, but gosh that was quick!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How exciting to see some actual handwriting, Yummy!

So, if they can locate an address and email a digital copy in a couple of days, their indexing must be pretty good. Is it this year, or next that they start rolling out the indexes?;)
                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

its not an email version, it was printed and posted on A3 paper and sent in an envelope with card inside to keep it flat! (why cant they send certs as quick and flat???)

having found 1 of her brothers in peterborough i'm not sure if the other would have been born in bradford or peterborough. the only match i can make to area and MMN is for a FRED (not arthur), there is no arthur with MMN mitchell as far as 1927. he has got to have been born near hilda and albert as i have a pic of him in 1933 at heacham. (it has the names of everyone on the back. i also have pics of him with his wife and daughter out in nigeria in the 1950's.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                            Is it this year, or next that they start rolling out the indexes?;)
                            They originally said late 2008 if I remember rightly, but they're now saying "from early 2009".

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

A lot of Bradford births are now on the Yorkshire UKBMD site, but I'm not sure what date they go up to, and they haven't entered mothers' maiden names yet.
                              According to this page: Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths

There's quite a lot of coverage by area, but in the range 1837-1870 where it's been done.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Christine, I was too lazy to check

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-of-2 View Post
                                  its not an email version, it was printed and posted on A3 paper and sent in an envelope with card inside to keep it flat! (why cant they send certs as quick and flat???)

having found 1 of her brothers in peterborough i'm not sure if the other would have been born in bradford or peterborough. the only match i can make to area and MMN is for a FRED (not arthur), there is no arthur with MMN mitchell as far as 1927. he has got to have been born near hilda and albert as i have a pic of him in 1933 at heacham. (it has the names of everyone on the back. i also have pics of him with his wife and daughter out in nigeria in the 1950's.

The presentation of the certificate is VERY good indeed. And you also get to see all the 'rules and regs' of the 1911 census. Mind you at £45 you expect it !

Comment

I had a feeling I read somewhere that the certificate should say how many children had been born to the couple in total, but I can't find any reference to it on the 1911 site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                      I had a feeling I read somewhere that the certificate should say how many children had been born to the couple in total, but I can't find any reference to it on the 1911 site.
                                      It does on the Irish one, I thought that it was the same for the English?

Comment

It does.....Amy mentioned it in one of her posts. The mum recorded she had only had one child. (UPDATE In post 8)

Comment

Working...
                                        X