what sites are the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what sites are the best

hi new to this ,noticed there are alot of sites that charge to be a member what one do people think is the best,thank in advance

That all depends on what you want and how much you think it is worth!

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records is the Mormon site which is free. It has the 1881 census transcript and lots of extracts from baptism & marriage registers as well as other stuff, personally submitted which may or may not be accurate.

Freebmd is a site which gives the births/marriages/deaths indexes for England and Wales and is also free. Coverage is not complete yet but it does have a vast number of records.

Paying sites - the one I use is Ancestry. It's about £70 a year at the moment, but it has all the Freebmd stuff, plus the complete index images, as well as all 5 currently available censuses and the ability to see the original census pages as well as the transcripts.
    It has Pallot's baptism & marriage indexes, v useful for London rellies pre-1837, WW1 army records and lots of other stuff.

It's not perfect, some of the transcriptions are woeful, but it is the best collection of many sources all in one place and I would'nt be without it.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks so confusing lots of info out there but also lots of sites wanting money, i just want somewhere wher i can check birth cerificates and or census info

Comment

FreeBMD is here

FreeBMD Home Page

I wouldn't be without Ancestry U.K. .... although it took me months to decide that it was going to be useful

Not sure what there is available free on Ancestry

Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Check out your local library - lots of them offer free access to Ancestry!

Oh, and welcome to FTF!!
          Sue

Comment

Also have a look here: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...nline_Research
            This page in the Wiki (= Family Tree Forum's reference library) explains a bit about some of the sites (see: Site Reviews) and how to use some of them (see: Searching for Hatches, Matches And Dispatches)
            Sarah

Comment

I would say ancestry is the best for census info. As for birth certificates, you have to order them from the GRO - unless you are researching Scottish ancestors, in which case the site you want is Scotland's People. You can look at the birth, marriage and death indexes on lots of sites but do try FreeBMD first because that one is free.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

County records offices have the census for their county and also the bmd indexes.

It all depend on what you need - wide coverage of lots of places; one specific area; which time periods you are looking at; etc.

But if you want England & Wales then Ancestry offers all the census and bmd indexes in one place.

If you've got a specific request about a family you can always ask for info here.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

i have joined the free trial for ancestory but all it shows is my dads death date which i already know and when i search any other familiar names its states there are no names registered ?

Comment

You have to plod through the listed indexes, quarter by quarter, for recent events as they are not name searchable.

OC

Comment

As already said, you have to buy certificates for £7 from GRO to get the full details. You can use freebmd which is name searchable up to the early 20th century for bmd - and as O.C. says you then have to access the complete bmd index on ancestry and trawl by year looking for the event and the ref you need for the certificate.

The names you cant find - what are you looking for and what are the years? You are most likely using the partial freebmd index on ancestry which is being transcribed by volunteers so its name searchable - and a wonderful job they are doing, but its not complete by a long chalk as yet.

Comment

If you would like some help with where's best to look for specific things, you are welcome to post up what you know, or what you are looking for, on this site and I'm sure someone will come to your aid! (only restriction is that if you mention the details of any individuals, they must be deceased people)

Comment

thanks for everyones replies ,i am trying to trace my grandad,john walter trill died approx 1982 but all i can find it that he was baptised in steyning but no more info is this normall?

Comment

Transcriptions (FreeBMD, mainly) tend not to be much beyond 1920 - though some of the Local BMD sites have more modern records - but there isn't a Sussex one.

The more modern indexes tend to be confined to Ancestry (or suchlike).

I rather think you should be able to find his (GRO index) birth record here:
                            FreeBMD Home Page
                            To get the info, you'll need to shell out the £7 for a cert. That's £7 because you'll have the GRO reference to quote.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks again for the help have tried the bmd index for his birth but finding the site confusing his date of birth is 21/11/1930 dut it wont search december ?

Comment

Well. if it's 1930, it's extremely unlikely to be on FreeBMD.

If you're using FreeBMD, you do want to make sure you click on the red rubber-stamp-style Search icon and not on the Ancestry one at the top.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a death for a John Walter TRILL, registered in Winchester in the first quarter of 1981.

That gives a DoB 14 Apr 1904 - which pairs with the birth reg of John Walter TRILL in Steyning in 2nd Qtr of 1904.

Christine

Comment

The other thing to remember with registration Quarters, is that events towards the end of a Quarter may well appear in the next Quarter. This doesn't apply to marriages which are registered as they happen.

Christine

Comment

The birth reg in 1930 in Steyning is for Danny J TRILL (MMN = NASH).

Is it possible that you're mixing up two people's names & DoBs? I have to say that "Walter" seem more likely to crop up earlier in the century - e.g. 1904 - rather than in 1930.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                        The birth reg in 1930 in Steyning is for Danny J TRILL (MMN = NASH).

The 1930 Danny died in 2004.

Comment

Working...
                                        X