Bushey Museum link - panorama...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushey Museum link - panorama...

Just received this link from Bushey Museum...

Panoramic view from St James' Church Tower, Bushey

They warn it's a large file, so prob not good for those on dial-up.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Wow. Wouldn't it be useful for many research purposes if they did this sort of panoramic view from the top of all tall buildings .... every 10 years ?

Is there any indication in which year this view was taken ?
    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

This has made Bushey look very rural, instead of on the fringes of Watford and Harrow! Could not quite see the Harlequinn Centre. Amazing pictures, perhaps they were taken before the Harlequin Centre was built??

Janet

Comment

I think they're pretty recent - I could ask, if you'd like something a bit more exact?

Church House has its recent paint - and full set of lettering - but doesn't have the Lucy Kemp-Welch (copy) bas-relief horse-bronze which was nicked some years ago. There's also the style of the cars that you can see.

The Harlequin is visible directly above the East end of Sacred Heart Church (towards the end of the circuit). The taller building is the YMCA, I think.

As for Bushey being rural...
        One of the large areas of green is a golf course. There are some fields - some/one of which have been bought by the community to protect the green belt. The churchyard is quite large. The school opposite used to be the Royal Masonic Junior School, and has plenty of playing fields around it. Also, Bushey is in the area that's at the edge of the conurbation - where it begins to thin out into identifiable villages and towns. If you look carefully, you can see the rooftops where more villages/towns start beyond the trees.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, you can see the Sacred Heart Church, and I thought that was the YMCA Centre and of course the golf course, but I could not see the Harlequin, but I will have another look. It does look to the outlying villages as I could see some church towers and wondered what villlages they were, but it still gives a rural image of Bushey which does not quite stick with my memory of rush hour to Bushey in the 1980's, and is not quite as rural as the countryside to the West of Watford, that is beyond the M25!!!

Janet

Comment

Bushey High Street is still entirely capable of being thoroughly clogged in anything resembling a rush-hour... including the time leading up to a football match (or significant rugby match).

Christine

Comment

Working...
            X