• Show
Clear All

• Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Record Service

Does anyone ever visit the above, at:

Riverside Building
    County Hall
    Bedford
    MK42 9AP

I've found some entries on the IGI and National Burial Index, which I need to try and get the rest of the detail for. I was wondering if there was any kind soul who might be able to look up anything for me??? (grovel)

Sorry if I don't reappear this morning as a few days ago I apparently agreed to take my children 10 pin bowling today :( lol

If you don't find anyone to help, they are very good at helping via email and in my experience didn't charge me for the information I asked about.

Comment

*hides in shame*

I have to admit to never having darkened their doorstep. County Hall is the most dreadful concrete monstrosity built on a lovely riverside site. The Archive service has received all sorts of awards for its excellent services.

Some parish records may be duplicated or copies held in Bedford Central Library, which is marginally easier for me to get to. Both organisations are pretty good at responding to emails.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        *hides in shame*

I have to admit to never having darkened their doorstep. County Hall is the most dreadful concrete monstrosity built on a lovely riverside site. The Archive service has received all sorts of awards for its excellent services.

Some parish records may be duplicated or copies held in Bedford Central Library, which is marginally easier for me to get to. Both organisations are pretty good at responding to emails.
        lol!!

I don't really mind paying them to do the lookups, but was just seeing if there was anyone going there first!

I've got three marriages to be checked; one at St Paul's Bedford, one at Woburn and one at Oakley; one baptism at Bromham and five burials at Woburn.

Comment

Merry

I can get there, but sadly the blinking Archives don't open on Saturdays. If you can wait until a holiday or see if the records are held at the Central Library (which IS open on Saturdays) I would be happy to help.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oooh, how naughty of them!! lol

I'm quite happy to wait......(though possibly the list might get longer! lol)

It's very kind of you to offer

Comment

OK. If I go soon and remember I'll contact you! I need to go to the library as I want to upgrade by virtual library membership so I can access the Times archive again.

Comment

OK, thanks Nell!

Comment

In fact, OC [sorry, Merry, complete error] psend me what you want on a private message and I'll print it off and leave it where it will remind me!
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 26-04-08, 19:56.

Comment

Do you think they would hold records for non-conformists? I have a little clutch of Tennants I can't find anything on at all, but I know they existed, lol!

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                      Do you think they would hold records for non-conformists? I have a little clutch of Tennants I can't find anything on at all, but I know they existed, lol!

*pushes in front of Joan*

I know that Beds & Luton archives do hold some non-con records, but my ancestors refuse to show themselves in them, as lease, so I have been told .....(other than one chap who was chucked out of the Baptist church for drunken behaviour :()

I wonder if maybe the records of some churches/chapels have not survived?

Comment

What time period are you looking for? Transcripts of lots of Bedfordshire parish registers up to 1812 are available on microfiche. See:
                        Bedfordshire Family History Society - Publication List
                        GENfair
                        Bedfordshire County Council: Bedfordshire parish register series
                        Sarah

Comment

Sarah - I'm after four entries before 1812, only two of which are in the same parish, and five after 1812......:(

Comment

Must be very near where I used to live and work many years ago. Brings back lots of memories! By the way, Merry, did you see what Nell called you in post 9?!
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              Sarah - I'm after four entries before 1812, only two of which are in the same parish, and five after 1812......:(
                              Not much point in getting the fiche then. I have some Bedfordshire fiche, but none of the parishes you mentioned.
                              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                By the way, Merry, did you see what Nell called you in post 9?!
                                Yes, I did!! I have spoken to Nell about that! lol

Comment

Blame it on old age chaps!

BTW this is a page about parish registers held at Bedford Central Library
                                   Parish Registers at Bedfordshire Libraries - Local and Family History - Bedfordshire's Virtual Library

Comment

Bedfordshire parish registers for sale on microfiche/book form list here
                                    Bedfordshire County Council: Bedfordshire parish register series

Parish registers held at the Beds Archives
                                    Bedfordshire County Council: Anglican parish registers

Comment

Most of mine were Luton, I have bookmarked those pages Nell, but I am being a dumbo here, what use are microfiche to me unless I have a reader? Can I take them to my library or LDS centre to use them there?

I can't find their baptisms on Familysearch (at least not for sure) there is very little about them at all, except the census entries I have found. I haven't ordered the PR's to look at as there are too many for Luton & I wouldn't know where to start

Joanie

Comment

You can if they have a microfiche reader!

As for Luton, I imagine it wasn't always as big as it is now. Depending on when you are talking about, you might be able to narrow down the parishes depending on where they were living on the census.

Comment

Working...
                                        X