Woolwich Arsenal Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woolwich Arsenal Records

Further to recent postings I have received a reply today from DSDA Carmarthenshire regarding my application for information on my g.grandfather who worked at Woolwich Arsenal stating:

"I know it is despairing to family historians but any records relating to dates of birth pre 1907 would have been destroyed in accordance with the MOD's policy of destruction at 100 years from date of birth.

I am sorry to give you such disappointing news and wish you luck with your research"

Unfortunately I am 152 years too late!!

Jean

Jean my reply was the same! We were given the impression that they still had some old records but it looks more likely now that they were for an employee who had done something outstanding or one of status. "Despairing" I don't think they have any idea how much, especially as I have 2 x Frank Ellis each with a father called William my one worked at the Arsenal and his records with his date of birth would have confirmed which one (unless of course they both worked there!). I was really counting on the records! :(
    Dawn

Comment

I posted my letter on Monday and am still awaiting my reply :(

Comment

Probably a "despairing" reply some time next week then Velma

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
        Dawn

Comment

Probably not much help, but my Gt Grandad was posted there during WW1 which I found out from the Army pensions on Ancestry.
          The record helpfully listed his full family as next of kin plus their ages and address!
          Alison

Researching:
          CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

You was definately one of the lucky ones then Alison
            Dawn

Comment

Working...
            X