GRO Edinburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Edinburgh

The Register Office in Edinburgh where you can go and view the images of the BDM's, census's, OPR's, Wills etc right up to the most recent - have up to now charged £17 per day or £10 for an afternoon session if there's been room.

However from next week they're reducing it to £10 for a day (don't know about the afternoon rate). Other rates apply for different users/season tickets etc.

You can't print off births under 100 years, marriages under 75 years ago or deaths under 50 years ago (same as scotlandspeople) but have to purchase certificates if you need them or you can write out your own transcription on blank forms. - available at the GRO for 10p each or on here you can print off our blank forms.

If you're thinking of going you might have to book as demand might be heavier.
    Last edited by JBee; 25-04-08, 22:13.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

JBee

Thanks for the info, I was just there on Thursday. I been going there for a few years and never knew they had blank forms.

When I first read your posting I though it was a reduction because of the ongoing work in the Archives next door. Glad to see they your still allowed to book.

Weekly and four weekly passes will not be available from this date. Also the current part day searches, which start from 13:00, will cease. Instead customers can pay £10 for access at any time during the day, depending on availability.
    I'll be going back sooner than I planed.

Comment

Jan

Our free FTF downloadable forms - for all our needs - found under the "How to..." section in genealogy general

also has blank Scottish BDM forms which Elaine has kindly put on for us - to make life a little easier when transcribing info.
      You have to do your own colour coding though!!!
      Last edited by JBee; 26-04-08, 10:43.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks J Bee, I just love a day at New Reg House, Edinburgh and great to see the cost coming down. that said I think it is wonderful value for money as you can view dozens of certs and make huge progress in just one day.
        I live quite far from Edinburgh but usually make a holiday of it and also visit the National Archives, West Register House (great for us with criminal rellies) and also the National Library of Scotland (lots of info in old newspapers).
        Thanks again.
        herky
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Jbee

Not yet found download forms on here, will look for them when I get back on Sunday night. I assume they are like the ones I was given from the WLFHS. I tend to use two note books one for what I'm looking for and one with what I find. Although the images are just 50p I tend to just write every thing down and only buying the direct line and some significant people, saves on storage. I just wish the whole of the UK had the same system £7 for the English ones hurts especially if you can't find the right one.

Comment

jbee, thanks for that info! Is that from Monday the 28th then?

Comment

Not sure - as the lady I rang at GRO to book said from next week.

Just tried to put a link onto the threads for downloadable forms but failed - sorry.

Go to Genealogy General -
              then How to ........ topic
              and in there are downloadable forms thread.
              Last edited by JBee; 27-04-08, 01:19.

Comment

Working...
              X