Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to my tree? Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to my tree? Advice please.

I use FTM 2006.A couple of nights ago I created a Gedcom of part of my tree (just one family) to import into GR as a couple of people there had members of this family in their trees. When I looked at my tree on GR I noticed that nearly everyone in it had addresses in the "occupation" box. I record addresses and occupations as facts in FTM. I went through and altered them all on GR. Now, to my horror, I find that my tree on FTM has the same fault for this entire family. Most addresses are recorded as "occupation" in the facts list. I am quite sure this is not a mistake I made when entering the people in FTM in the first place. I have no idea how long this error has been there as I haven't studied all the details for this family since I entered them. I religiously back-up my tree every time I do anything to it so, for all I know, my back ups contained these errors too. I've spent a long time today, going through and correcting thngs and I have it all backed up once more but I'm afraid of it happening again.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could have happened? Could it have been caused when I made the Gedcom? I am really worried that something drastic has happened to the programme...although I've checked other branches and all seems well with them.If it's something I've done I would like to avoid it in the future.Any ideas/advice would be very welcome please.

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Most likely it is due to one of three reasons.

#1 The data was entered incorrectly in FTM

#2 An error during the export of the GEDCOM file

#3 An error during the import of the GEDCOM file.

From what you say then #1 seems unlikely so there is a chance that either #2 or#3 are the problem (seems slightly strange though that the problem persists with your FTM file)

To check for an import/export problem examine the file in notepad;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen. I always open any Gedcom I've created in a new FTM file to check it before I send it to anyone...but only to make sure I haven't inadvertantly included any names I didn't intend to. Perhaps stupidly, I never bother to check every single detail. I will in future though! And I can't understand why it has affected my main FTM file either.

Ann
      ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Once you open a GED file into FTM it is converted to the standard .FTW file and backed up as an .FTW file when you close FTM.

Perhaps the details in the wrong area are from an early file and the problem will then continue through each subsequent GED file you create and open. Having said that if the "mistake" only happened once or twice then it shouldn't affect all the individuals in the file.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
        X