Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens homes

Good afternoon all.

Back in the early 1900s, were childrens homes called anything inparticular?

I am trying to find my grandad and his 2 sisters.

Thanks

debs

I had a rellie who was a 'headmaster' of the Infants, Boys and Girls Orphan Asylum, Myrtle Street Liverpool.

That's how it appears on censuses. In a couple of newspaper reports it was shortened to Orphan Asylum.

Don't know about any others.

Anne

Comment

HI Ann

Thank you, some other way to search :-)

Debs

Comment

Orphanages?
        Pam

Comment

HI Pam.

Yes, thanks.

looking it up.

debs

Comment

3 more descriptions for you to look for:- In 1901 one of my relatives was in Islington "Workhouse Schools", another in a "Boys' Home" and 2 more in the "Cottage Homes Hornchurch - separate poor law schools of the Parish of St Leonard Shoreditch"
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just found 3 older orphaned children from London in Bristol in 1901:

Muller's Orphan Houses. (transcribed by Anc. as Miller)

Just got some old books out of lib about George Muller and setting up the homes. Liz
              Liz

Comment

I have a recollection of the term 'Industrial Schools' being used, not sure if they were for orphans but I know they put wayward children or children whose parents couldn't cope or control or look after them.

Although the criteria then was a lot less than you need now just to excluded them from day school for a little while.

Comment

Homes run by churches: Spurgeons Homes (Baptist); National Childrens Home (Methodist). Both organisations still exist but their work is much more community-based now.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My Grandad (born 1898) was bought up in Ashford Residential School, Middlesex, although he wasn't an orphan as far as I know.
                    I presume this was a type of orphanage though.
                    He was ill-treated by his parents and my Mum said he had been abandoned as a child.

Before this he was in 'Edmonton School' which I presume was also an Orphanage.
                    Alison

Researching:
                    CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

What area are you looking at?

There maybe ones named after a local person or organisation.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                      X