• Show
Clear All

• McCrery again! Sun Fire Office docs

I just found this on a2a:

Records of Sun Fire Office Catalogue in Full
    Guildhall Library: Records of Sun Fire Office [MS 11936/461]

Creator(s):
    Sun Fire Office, 1710-1891
    Access Condition(s): Records marked "access restricted" are subject to access conditions. Please enquire to Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

[Note]
    For guidelines for how best to use the detailed index of policies for some of the London insurers policy registers (old series, MS 11936) on A2A please see The "Place in the Sun" project - using the online index of Sun Fire Office policy registers 1816 - 1824 at: A Place in the Sun index instructions

FILE - [no title or date] - ref. MS 11936/461

item: [no title] - ref. MS 11936/461/895135 - date: 9 June 1814

Contents
    Insured: Robert McCrery, 2 Orange Street Bloomsbury, tin man
    Other property or occupiers: Silver Street Bloomsbury

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Has anyone had experience of looking at the originals of these insurance documents? What sort of information might be included?

Merry

Not seen any originals as early as this, but I did once temp in the Sun Life Offices, lol!

Full description of property insured. Name of the Underwriter - almost certainly Lloyds of course. Details of premiums paid and most probably a legal document signed by the insured person. Details of the type of activity at the premises - this might be the interesting bit!

Of course, as I say, I don't KNOW what they contain this early, but would imagine it would be pretty much as I have described above - insurance doesn't change much, really.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Merry

Not seen any originals as early as this, but I did once temp in the Sun Life Offices, lol!

Full description of property insured. Name of the Underwriter - almost certainly Lloyds of course. Details of premiums paid and most probably a legal document signed by the insured person. Details of the type of activity at the premises - this might be the interesting bit!

Of course, as I say, I don't KNOW what they contain this early, but would imagine it would be pretty much as I have described above - insurance doesn't change much, really.

OC
      So you weren't there in 1815 then??!!

Hmmmm.....I think it will have to depend on the cost of seeing it as o whether I bother or not....It's not as if these people are my direct line (thank goodness!), but they are really bugging me!

Thanks OC.

Comment

No, I was off sick in 1815!

The document may indeed not be worth the money, but I have to say, I do admire SUN for turning this stuff into a potential money-maker, rather than just dumping it.

OC

Comment

Merry

It's very cheap from memory - something like £4.73 for up to 4 documents and then £? for each additional one

I have a couple to order so if you want to PM the details I can tag your one on with mine as I still won't have met the minimum order.

I have a feeling Kate has ordered these in the past - though I may be remembering incorrectly.
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Yes, I ordered quite a few - I think it was the maximum allowed in one go. They work out pretty cheap, and I thought well worth getting. Let's see what we have here... policy number, premium, quarter, name, address and occupation, and then a breakdown of the items insured, for instance:
            On his fixtures in his now Dwelling house only situate as aforesaid brick Ten Pounds...

actually, typing that up reminded me that I transcribed all mine to send to some of my contacts, so I will send you a copy of my transcriptions as it is too long to copy and paste into here, Merry, and it should give you an idea of what you might get. Some of them have loads of interesting details and some just the bare minimum.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've emailed it to you, Merry, so let me know if it doesn't turn up!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Merry

Have attached the order form which you need to post off

but like I said - I have an order to place anyway for two documents and they charge you for 4 so I can just bung yours onto mine. It'll save us both paying out for the same thing
                Attached Files
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Oooh, thanks everyone!

Thanks for your email Kite. Fingers crossed the one I want is a detailed as those you sent me!!

Zoe, thanks for your kind offer........I will pm you after the school run

Comment

Thanks for this idea Merry. I have seen several of my rellies on the Fire Insurance list and just assumed it would be date and place - which I already knew anyway. I didn't realise there would be much, if any, extra information. Durrrh!

Anne

Comment

Ive had some too, I just assumed it would be name and address basically.

Comment

The originals are in huge ledgers and there's a real thrill to finding the name of an ancestor recorded in it. It's where I found a couple of Mel's ancestors, one of which confirmed I had the right family as the addresses matched.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

So did you actually go there, Nell? Can you look through the ledgers yourself? (Or are we talking about TNA here?)

Anne

Comment

Yes and Yes!

They are at the Guildhall. You use the ref number on a2a to order them up from the storage area - takes about 15 minutes or less - and then you can look at them.

Guildhall Library is lovely. The archive bit is above the main library area and has all the parish registers on microfilm as well as big tables for consulting hefty tomes like the insurance records.

The library proper has microfilmed directories and zillions of books on London - not just the City but the whole Greater London area.

Comment

Oh, thanks Nell. I might get there one day. Don't hold your breath though!

Anne

Comment

Guildhall Library also has an excellent bookshop, useful for anyone with London ancestors, I found them very helpful. There are often fascinating exhibitions too, there's a clock and watch museum and across the yard is the Art Gallery, with many views of London and the remains of the Roman Amphitheatre in the basement.

Comment

Plus if you find any baptisms, marriages or burials in the parish registers, within about 5-10 minutes' walk you can be standing outside the church or on the spot where the church stood.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                    Plus if you find any baptisms, marriages or burials in the parish registers, within about 5-10 minutes' walk you can be standing outside the church or on the spot where the church stood.
                                    Stop making me jealous!

Comment

and the staff are the friendliest I've encountered.

The only naff point is that because its in the City and the offices are all shut, so are the coffee & sandwich bars and pubs!

Comment

When I next go I'll let you know Merry. I'm happy to transcribe the insurance record for you.

Perhaps I should be considered as your personal assistant?

Why don't you move to Gloucester so you can reciprocate. lol!

Comment

Working...
                                        X