No announcement yet.

Is it worth applying for Army records??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth applying for Army records??

My father was by all accounts home more than away as he deserted a few times.
    Would it be worth sending for his records ????
    I have never been able to find him listed on the National Archives medal cards, even though I have his number .

Hi Val

I think it is personnal choice really. I sent for my 3xgt grandads, my grandads, my Dads & my late husbands & don't regret one of them, except maybe Grandads as these have now become available on Ancestry.

At least you'll be able to see if Dad really did desert as often as he claimed & what punishments he got.

I downloaded my gt uncles records & found he deserted in 1891 & his punishment was to have all his previous service discounted & 42 days in prison. :D
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Val--- Do you have the www. address please ??? I get lost around the National archives
      My Grandfather was in the Army and it would be nice to know his record
      Sheila
      I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Advanced Search
        there you go Shelia
        thanks Vivienne we did not get on at all but I often wonder about his records

Comment

Val, I'm a bit confused - the medal index cards on TNA (and some of them on ancestry now) are for WW1, but as far as I know, all surviving WW1 service papers are held at TNA (and available on ancestry) and you don't have to apply for those - you can download from ancestry or go and look at them at TNA. The ones you have to apply for are post-WW1, for instance WW2, but there are no medal cards for WW2 on TNA as far as I know?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite you are right of course its me thats confused my fathers name was Arthur George Miller who served or didnt serve in the second world war ,one of his brothers was George Arthur Miller who served in the first world war thats the one I cant find the medal car for
            I was up late last night !!!!!

Comment

Bear in mind that you only get a medal card if you served in a theatre of war. My paternal grandfather joined up in 1913, but never left these shores - so no medal card.

Also, if he did not always use his middle name, you may not find him without a service number.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

hi they were all overseas my father in Italy in the second world war
                Brother George was in France along with their father
                Another served in India
                Not sure about the rest yet
                Have tried using the middle name or not

Comment

"Bear in mind that you only get a medal card if you served in a theatre of war. My paternal grandfather joined up in 1913, but never left these shores - so no medal card."

That's interesting, did not know that before. My great grandfather joined the army in 1910 aged 21, and was a bombardier in the Royal Garrison Artillery by the time war broke out. His MIC shows he ended the war a sergeant, though shows neither 14 or 15 star, so I was told on the 1914-18 forum he was probably too valuable at home, and was kept here to train the troops. He obviously must have gone to France or somewhere abroad then though, as he does have a MIC, with British War Medal and Victory Medal, so I'm thinking maybe before or after the Somme in 1916, hence lack of a 14 or 15 star?

Comment

Richard, I've just been reading Richard Van Emden's book Britain's Last Tommies, and in it there is a bit about medal's..the holder of the 1914/15 star had a kudos denied million of other men who received only the silver British War Medal and the bronze Victory Medal. the 10th e.york regiment arrived at the very end of 1915, the 11th e. lancashire and 12th york landed on New Years day 1916 all three battalions belonged to the 31st division, yet the men of the e.york reg received the 1914/15 star whereas the rest did not qualify as they had not landed in a war zone by the end of 1915. seemed a bit unfair, but thought it may be of interest

Comment

Hello Val I have pm'ed you
                      Thanks
                      Sheila walking cat.gif

Comment

Val I have sent another pm
                        Sheila

Comment

Working...
                        X