Surely it must be possible.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surely it must be possible.......

......to find some indication that even one of these couples ever existed?????

These records are taken from Pallot's Marriage index, only I've corrected the spellings.....

Robert McCrery m Sarah Millwood 1816 Bloomsbury
    William McCrery m Sarah Okey 1823 Bloomsbury

Robert was over 21 in 1815 and William was under 21 at the same date (father's will). They are the sons of Robert McCrery of Orange Street, Bloomsbury who was my first cousin 4x removed. Sarah Millwood was also my relative (she was 2nd cousin to her husband), but I know nothing tangible about her at all!

To date the only parish register records I have found for this family are the above, plus the marriage of the grandfather of Robert and William back in 1759 in Bedfordshire (those of you who spend too much time on this board may remember the story of the bride's father who stopped the wedding twice whilst his daughter was underage and then, when she still went ahead, cut her inheritence unless she left her husband......sometimes I wish she had!).

It has taken 15 years to get to this point, via the McCre(a)rys popping up in wills, as marriage witnesses and various other little snippets!

If anyone would prefer I leave my own tree alone and go back to other things, I quite understand!! lol

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Blimey, if you havent got any bright ideas .................... So they dont appear anywhere other than those pallots records?

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
      .................... So they dont appear anywhere other than those pallots records?
      Nope! But I do struggle with "Mc" type names on Ancestry.....those marriages are listed as "Crery" which is why I didn't spot them to begin with.

I think the whole blinky family were non-conformist which doesn't help. I don't know what sort of trade the McCrery's were in as dad forgot to say when he wrote his will. He also didn't bother with getting it witnessed in the proper fashion, which caused a few problems!

Comment

I've noticed that some 19th. century newspapers render Mc as M'.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oooh, That's something to bear in mind, UJ....thanks! ........

Rushes away to more newspaper digging!

Comment

Also, Scotlands People tells you to drop the Mc or Mac prefix and search again, if you can't find it (as does Hugh Wallis!)

Why am I thinking Maccari?

OC

Comment

Hmmm. OH has someone called McQuone in his tree. So far I've found it spelled
              McQuorne; McQuown; McEwan; McEwen; Maquone; McGuone; McKeone; McKeown
              and those are just the ones I have found.

No wonder he changed his name to MELLOR

Perhaps yours did the same? pmsl

Anne

Comment

M'Crery, Crory, Macquerie, Mackery...
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A few Mccrery non-cons from Lancs on the BMDs if that's any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    A few Mccrery non-cons from Lancs on the BMDs if that's any help.
                    The trouble is, I don't know where they originated from.....

1st Gen:

Robert McCreary passed through Bedfordshire, got himself a wife in 1759, had three sons named Robert, David and William who were all born by 1765 (maternal grandfather's will)......

2nd Gen:

David and William vanished, Robert junr died in Bloomsbury in 1815 and left two sons, another Robert and William, born probably in the 1790's. (He may also have had another son, David, bap at St Andrew Holborn in 1790 (Pallot's bap index)

3rd Gen:

Robert and William married in Bloomsbury, Robert to his (2nd?) cousin Miss Millwood (I didn't know her first name until I found the Pallot's marriage entry)

The original three sons b before 1765 should have been apprenticed into a trade, but grandfather's money to pay for this would only have materialised if the mother (Susannah nee Maynard) left her husband and of course, I don't know whether she did or not!)

Comment

Record

Robert McCreery abt 1798- 1868 could this be his death in Stockport Cheshire mistranscribed

Comment

Val

That death was actually registered in Heaton Norris according to Cheshirebmds.

OC

Comment

so its no good ????

Comment

Sorry Val, no I didnt mean it was no good - I was just pinpointing the location a bit more than Stockport!

Sorry, should have explained what I meant!

OC

Comment

oh sorry I did misunderstand ,I would have given merry the rest of the details if it had been likely wanted to be sure thats why

Comment

Thanks for that Val. I'll have to try and find that man on the 1851 and/or the 1861 census to see where he was born. If he's from south east England then he could well be mine, but probably not if from elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  Record

Robert McCreery abt 1798- 1868 could this be his death in Stockport Cheshire mistranscribed
                                  I think I've found that one living in Heaton Norris in 1861, spelled the same as on the death reg. He was born in Ireland and maintained he was younger (only a couple of years) than at death. Mine would have to be at least another four years older to have been a minimum of 21 in 1815, so I think (mostly from the place of birth) it isn't the right man, but thanks a lot for looking Val

Comment

Working...
                                  X