Ancestry tree - help needed, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry tree - help needed, please!

Someone has a tree on Ancestry with Norfolk Rayners going back - I am told - to 1661.

I think that someone probably filched the details from me - as the only way to join two parts of the tree was a long forgotten index I found tucked away in a dusty corner of the S o G.

Would someone please put me out of my misery and tell me who this tree belongs to?

It should mention places like Bintry and Guist with lots of Edward Rayners (and the occasional Thomas or William thrown in for ballast)

Many thanks in anticipation.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Can you give me some details for one person as I can find loads of trees for Rayners in Norfolk.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks, Wendy.

Try looking for an Edward Rayner b 1700 (birthplace is Worthing, Norfolk)
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

OK go and look now.
        Wendy

Comment

If I've got the right one, it belongs to Colin_Jenner from Hastings, Sussex
          Wendy

Comment

I've just had a look and there are no matches for edward Rayner born 1770 on either Public members trees, Personal members Trees, oneworld tree or Ancestry world tree

There are a few Rayners in the 1600's listed
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Vickie his surname is spelt Rainer.
              Wendy

Comment

Ah would explain why I couldn't find it :D
                Vikki -
                Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thank you, Wendy! I thought it must be him.

How I love tree stealers. I wouldn't mind quite so much if he were a Rayner descendant.

As a matter of interest, does he give any sources for his material? Like ME!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Not any that I can see.
                    Wendy

Comment

What a surprise! I doubt if he's ever been to Norfolk in his life.

Oh flip, does this mean that I am in his tree?

The wretched man likes to be thorough and has got all my cousins details on GR.

Comment

He has a marriage to a Skillings on his tree. Is that your line?
                        Wendy

Comment

Oh yes.

I was going to open my tree to a genuine cousin, but not if all my data is going to be shoved onto Ancestry. Why do the greedy ones spoil it for everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                            Oh yes.

I was going to open my tree to a genuine cousin, but not if all my data is going to be shoved onto Ancestry. Why do the greedy ones spoil it for everyone else?
                            I had something like that ,found my missus family back to the 1770's,and put an obscure marriage up on my ancestry tree,and gene's,then it popped up there as a hotmatch,the guy had no other info,and wouldn't reply to my message's,pity really, i have a copy of the parish register and i would have shared if he'd only asked.
                            "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                              Why do the greedy ones spoil it for everyone else?
                              How I agree with you Phoenix.

I've just found most of my paternal family on someones tree on Ancestry. Turns out he is the father of my cousins daughter in law.
                              Now tell me someone cos I'm at a loss to understand how he is related to me and my dad:(
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Alan, I know! I am so proud of my Rayner tree because the proof for it lies in a witness statement in the TNA, which I can bore on till the cows come home, but nobody asks the question.

Daphne, it's horrid, isn't it? This is a second cousin of a second cousin, so the names can hardly have any personality to them. And he's got stacks of data on my second cousins on GR, not even decently shown as "living"

If the Skillings stuff is what he has on GR, then it is info that he has guessed or filched from somebody else because I closed access. The dates are ludicrous, but at least two others have identical info.

I don't mind fantasy trees, but a large tree creates a spurious authority.

Thank goodness for sites like this, where your data cannot be plundered.

Comment

Phoenix

It makes you want to weep, doesn't it? The first (and last!) time I opened my tree on GR, the contact took it and stuck it onto his One World Tree, which now has over 120,000 people on it.

He has my notes on there, verbatim, and I am VERY ANGRY, because I went to a lot of trouble to check and disprove a widely-held belief about someone's ancestry. Looking at his tree, it looks as if HE is the one who has copies of letters. I just pray that someone one day will beg him to show them the letters, ha ha.

Probably not though. Anyone prepared to copy off a tree with 120,000 people on it isn't going to question the fine details.

This sort of experience can turn you nasty!

OC

Comment

The other point is,someone could be taking info from someone else who's done exactly the same thing.
                                    I always prefer to check anything i find,i've come across Hatton's on A***y going back to the 1600's,but i haven't yet been able to confirm the apparent marriages or baptism's etc,anybody can just put anything on the internet,doesn't mean it's gospel.
                                    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

We have a large group of family researching our Worners from Martock Somerset and several of them have trees on GR and Ancestry, some of which I think they took from my tree (I can see my idiosyncratic style with dates and places). I know some did their own work - as a place name Gallipolli Italy is definitely not MY work.

It does not worry me greatly that they have appropriated my efforts, but I do wish they would get it RIGHT and check if I have any mistakes. Also that they should keep going and work further back, some just stop where I was up to several months (years ?) ago.

One thing I would love to be able to do on GR would be somehow put a marker in my tree and say "go and see Fred Jones' tree", then I would a) save myself a lot of work, b) know where Fred Jones meets my tree and c) acknowlege his work to others and they can chase him up for acces to his tree. I have tried to do this in the Sheather and Ades lines as there are already many available and why do I need to relist the whole lot

I have stopped adding to my GR tree now, and have only a small private ancestry tree, as I figure I have enough "footprints" on the Internet now for anyone looking for my families.
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia
                                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Dicole what I do with my family link ups is put link as a middle name where it connects from and the name of who it comes forward to ,,,,,,Like Polly is my GG Grandfathers brother family and then with Pollys name is Link that she is person where I link to ;;;hgope you understand that ;;
                                        But I always follow it back or forward mysef as well ;;
                                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X