Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry question.

Hi,
    In the good old days when I had some sort of memory I used to go to part of ancestry which had a distribution map. I think it was based on the 1881 census. You put in your name and it showed where the names were.
    Any thoughts on where to find it?
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Try this
    Learn about the family history of your surname - Ancestry.co.uk

I scrolled down to the following

Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Reference
    - Family Facts
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

The thing I'm thinking of, that fits your description wasn't on ancestry! the site was taken over by the National trust. I've lost all my history on the computer, so I'll go and have hunt for it, be back soon.
      Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Was this it?

National Trust Names
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Many thanks Sue and Daphne,
          You used to be able to find it in the right hand corner.
          The national trust is a new one for me and I have book marked it.
          Thanks again
          Jeanie
          If it's to be, it's up to me.
          Searching for:
          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I notice that on the National Trust one, names occurring less than 100 times in 1998 are excluded. Two of my family names - Flaacke & Rodmore aren't on there. Is the Ancestry one the same?

Comment

Hi,
              Have you tried this one,
              British Surnames and Surname Profiles | British Surnames and Surname Profiles
              Although Rodmore and Flaacke are definiterly not on there as I've checked.
              Neil.

Comment

I like that one, Neil - it tells you exactly how many people with that name are on the electoral now & in 1891.

Comment

Working...
                X