Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• place names in norfolk help

hi,

i have alot of relies from shouldham and shouldham thorpe in norfolk. i have found a census record for what i beleive to be a relies child but the place is listed as Sheldham Thorpe. are they likey to be the same place but transcribed wrongly or 2 different places?

thanks
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Its Shouldham Yummy - never heard of a Sheldham

Comment

thanks. i've zoomed in on the image but thats not clear.

Comment

If it's 1901 you are looking at, the transcriber was having a VERY bad day: My Skillings are all down as (if memory serves) Rilleg on GR's transcription. Very florid handwriting.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

no its the 1861.

Comment

Could it be that the person filling in the census form misheard the place name or couldn't spell it or understand the Norfolk accent?
            On the 1851 census for one of my Norfolk rellies, place of birth Wymondham is written as Wondham.
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
              Could it be that the person filling in the census form misheard the place name or couldn't spell it or understand the Norfolk accent?
              On the 1851 census for one of my Norfolk rellies, place of birth Wymondham is written as Wondham.
              That's pretty much how it's pronounced - but I'd have said Windham.

Shouldham and Shouldham Thorpe were part of the Group of Parishes of which my father was Rector in the 1970s. I used to go along to services there with my parents, from time to time, when I was home.

Anyone who's been in South Devon will be able to guess - as I did - where a Devonshire man came from, living in another county for the census, whose PoB was given as "Demport". It seems like the same situation.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Shouldham Thorpe is a settlement situated in England in the United Kingdom. It is located in the Norfolk region. Shouldham Thorpe is 82 miles from the English capital London.

It's near Kings Lynn, not far from Marham Airfield.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

We lived in Fincham. The other parishes in the Group were:
                  • Shouldham
                  • Shouldham Thorpe
                  • Marham
                  • Boughton
                  • Wereham
                  • West Dereham

It was a source of some amusement to us that the RAF station was pronounced Maahram, while the village was pronounced Marram. My father had been an RAF chaplain, in his time, so there was some self-mockery in that.

I used to describe Fincham, for more distant folk, as about half way between Downham Market and Swaffham. The other parishes were all around.

If you have any excuse to drive through Fincham, and can see over the vandal-type fence that was built in front of it - on top of the haha, that renders a fence redundant - the Rectory was a beautiful C17th house. (I hope they've removed the dreadful salmon pink paint that "enhanced" the window frames on one more recent visit to the area. I should have thought it was a breach of its Grade II listing. ... Perhaps I should unsaddle my hobby-horse, now, and put it back in the stable? ;) ) When my father was Station Chaplain at RAF Watton (a bit further Eastward into Norfolk) and I was at boarding school in Stamford, that was a reasonable route between home and school, and I used to request it simply to enjoy looking at the house in its lovely grounds.
                  Dream-come-true: that was the house from which I was married about 9-10 years later! :D

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-04-08, 20:23.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You mean Swarfam, dont you Chris? LOL (as someone what lives in Windum)

Comment

Sorry, Heather, I should have said: Swaarfum, indeed!

And I suppose it should be Downum Maaarkit?

Christine

Comment

Or just Downum As in Derham for West Dereham

You know I often wonder how my Norfolk GGFx2 managed going to Stepney with such a strong accent. Mind you he managed enough to get done for murder! Phoenix - did you see that? Found GGFx2 James Horstead indicted for murder in 1844 Ratcliff on Old Baily online - gobsmacked even more so that he got off with 2 months for manslaughter!
                        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 23-04-08, 20:58.

Comment

Taking the mickey out of us poor Norfolk folk!!!!!:D:D

(Born in Norwich)
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Im still here Wendy Its all a load of old squit

Comment

Working...
                            X