Genealogy Virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy Virgin

Hi as the title suggests I am new to this game and so far I'm totally confused. I joined Ancestry.com and inserted information I knew was correct - d.o.b. & d.o.d of both parents and this program did not find them.

Now, it might be me that is too stupid to understand how to follow the instructions therefore I'm seeking advice from more experienced "searchers" as to the best and easiest sites to join. As a clansman from the lowlands of Scotland I'm reluctant to spend my pennies and get nothing for them.

Blessings to you all.

Welcome to the site, dg8....

It may be that the information you are asking Ancestry to come up with is to recent, particularly if the records are Scottish ones.

We are not allowed to post up information on living relations on this site, but maybe you could tell us something about your grandparents, if they are dec'd, so that someone can point you in the right direction. If you need help with those still living, then feel free to ask general questions, like "where would I get a 1940 Scottish birth cert?" and you will probably find a load of people coming to your rescue!!

Good Luck

Comment

thanks for the help

The parents I was referring to were my Paternal Grandparents [Scottish] and they lived and died in Newhaven which was part of Leith - now both are part of Edinburgh - long before I can remember - I'm 60 this year.

I know their d.o.b. [date of birth] and d.o.d. [date of death] are correct but I could not find the information using the site.

I was only using my Paternal Grandparents as a training aid as I knew their details and was trying to see how to work the program - unsuccessfully.

Bless you for your response.

Comment

Ancestry has Scottish census records up to 1901, but no BMD (birth, marriage and death) records as far as I know.

You'll need to look at ScotlandsPeople; it's free to search, but you have to pay to see the full details of entries you find.

Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople

If they were born before 1901 you should find them on the 1901 census, but unfortunately the transcriptions are very poor.

Comment

Hello and welcome dg8.

As Mary says - you'll need ScotlandsPeople for the Scottish BMD. The advantage of the site is that you can download many of the images immediately (at a cost of £1.00 per image) and the information on them is much more detailed than on English equivalents.

The disadvantage is that searches, especially at the beginning, can eat up the credits very quickly. However, prior to about 1870, there is very good coverage of Scottish births and marriages on the Latter Day Saints site which is free to access and so you can often narrow down your searches there first.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hi, and welcome!

As they are long dead, perhaps you could put the details up here and we can help you find the information.

We can use your grandparents as a "mini-tutorial" to show you how to search Scotlands People and Ancestry, and that will give you the confidence to carry on.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hello dg8 and welcome to FTF

not sure if you are familiar with Wikipedia, but we have a wiki as well for our reference info. We also have a "visual guide" to searching Scotlands People.

please click the link below:

Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Good day to you Mary from Italy - I've just surfaced from below the duvet sheet after a good night's sleep.

Thanks for your help - I will follow your advice

Bless you and your family clan.

Comment

Just Gillian - please excuse the time it has taken me to answer your post, I have just got out of bed.

Your advice is appreciated.

May you and your family clan be blessed with being happy, healthy, wise and wealthy.

Comment

I give thanks for this new day:

I will definitely look at all advice and try the suggestions - please accept my sincere thanks for your help Elizabeth Herts

Today is the first day of the rest of your life - be thankful and may you and your family clan live it to the full and enjoy many more.

Comment

Greetings Darkseceretz thank you for your welcome and advice. When I got up this morning I was pleasantly surprised at the response I received from my post.

As indicated in the original post I'm a bit of a virgin as far as the subject matter and to be honest also at this computing lark so I hope you [and the other good people who are trying to help me] will be patient with my slow replies - I will eventually manage to type with more than one finger sometime.

May you and your family clan get rewarded with positive blessings for your kind help.

Comment

Hi There

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome to the site, I must admit Scotish research is an area where I have very limited experience.
                        Scotlandspeople is a very good site. There are also quite a few members of this site who have a vast amount of experience researching scotish records.

If you need any help stick you head up and yell and someone will no doubt come running
                        Vikki -
                        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Where I live it is raining at the moment - but it is a wonderful day to be alive - as is every new day.

Vikki brace you along with other family tree forum members make my day special and I give blessing for that and I hope your spirit guide protects you and your clan.

All the best and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dg8 View Post
                            Greetings Darkseceretz thank you for your welcome and advice. When I got up this morning I was pleasantly surprised at the response I received from my post.

As indicated in the original post I'm a bit of a virgin as far as the subject matter and to be honest also at this computing lark so I hope you [and the other good people who are trying to help me] will be patient with my slow replies - I will eventually manage to type with more than one finger sometime.

May you and your family clan get rewarded with positive blessings for your kind help.
                            No problems,

I used to be the same, re the typing, but now do manage quite well with at least 6 fingers

as Vikki said, if you have a query or just not sure, shout up and someone will come to the rescue :D
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                            X