Australian death records, help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian death records, help please

A likely relative of mine may have died in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I understand from googling, that his death cert (1870, I think) would have the names of his parents on it, if that info was known to the informant. Does that also include the maiden name of the mother, if it was known?

What's the easiest/cheapest way to access this info?

Easiest, presumably, and I don't know for sure if it is cheapest but I would guess so (wonder why the site description is so long!):

Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages - Births Deaths and Marriages Online Shop - Births Deaths and Marriages Online Shop
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Merry

The Victorian BDM has a website which is pay per view (Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages - Index Search - Historical Index Search Form)
      . I am not sure of the time frames but if known, I think, the mothers maiden name was included.

You can purchase the image of the actual register and download it immediately. Ithink it costs AUD 17.50 which is about on par with a transcription from NSW. abt 8 pounds ??? so not much different to the UK online ones.

DI
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Merry...either pm me or put the name up and I'll check the AVRI for you.

Comment

Thank you everyone

Libby....thanks......

His name is William Lavender. He is supposed to have died in 1870 in Victoria and would have been about 75 years of age.

This info is from a pedigree resource file on the IGI, so I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed! lol

Comment

Giss a tic....

Comment

Hi Merry
              The link below should be of help to you.

Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages - Births Deaths and Marriages Online Shop - Births Deaths and Marriages Online Shop

I have a death entry for NSW that I ordered online and chose to download as a PDF file. I think the cost was about the same as a certificate here. It had loads of information including parents names, spouses name and a list of all children. Additionally it gave the cause of death and details of the hospital he was taken to and how long he survived. The poor man was kicked in the groin by his horse and died from internal injuries after a few hours.

I should think that other States would follow the same pattern. I think I had the download (uncertified image) as it was cheaper and it was with me in a matter of minutes - always a bonus for those of us who want the answer now!!
              Helen
              Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Hi Helen, Thanks for the info.....your chap wasn't called Frederick Smith, was he?? Same thing happened to my rellie, though his horse accident was induced by alcohol :( (He was supposed to be tee-total!)

Comment

William Lavender died 1870 in Victoria (doesn't say where) Age 75.
                  Birthplace.....Bedf (Bedfordshire???)

Father Levi Lavender
                  Mother Leah Maynard.

Yell if you need any other Lavenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    William Lavender died 1870 in Victoria (doesn't say where) Age 75.
                    Birthplace.....Bedf (Bedfordshire???)

Father Levi Lavender
                    Mother Leah Maynard.

Yell if you need any other Lavenders.
                    Yeh!!! Thanks Libby!! Did you have to pay anything for that??? :(

Bedfordshire is nearly right too! He was born in Herts, but his parents were from the next county, Bedfordshire!

Woohoo!! Now I know the Leah Lavender I've been gazing at on the 1841 census for about three years is my rellie!!! lolol

Thanks again everyone.......I shall make a note of the various sites you have mentioned too

Comment

No cost Merry.....it's on the AVRI CDs.

Comment

Merry
                        My bloke was a carter so I suppose it was an occupational hazard :D He had the unusual surname of Garmston which made him quite easy to find. Interestingly I have been in touch with his descendants in Australia and we can't find any immigration records for him - an early illegal immigrant possibly
                        Helen
                        Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                          No cost Merry.....it's on the AVRI CDs.

Oh good!!

I wish it was that easy to find Agatha! lol

Helen....finding my Smith wasn't to easy!

Comment

HI Merry

Not much to add except to say that there was a burial in Kyneton Cemetery of a William Lavender who died in 1870 the record stated he was buried on 15th November 1870.

If I find any more I will add it.
                            WendyP

Comment

Merry......are you looking for any more on this fellow?

I'm sure I saw a Lavender at Kyneton on the AVRI.....maybe a birth.........it's no trouble to look.

Comment

Wendy, thanks for the burial record.

Libby.......well!! I do have a missing brother for William Lavender. he is in his mother's will for 1846, but doesn't seem to be on the 1841 or 1851 UK census.....so I did wonder if he went over to you with William?

He's John Lavender b about 1798 and was probably married to Sarah McCre(a)ry (another relation!, though I don't know her age or place of birth.....there is a marriage in London in 1832 which I think is probably them)

John's parents would be the same as William's.....Levi Lavender and Leah Maynard. I don't know where he was born exactly, but either Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire, I would think.......

If you are able to have a look that would be great! Obviously he might have gone anywhere though.........Or he might be hiding in this country! lol

Comment

Sorry......can't find him............maybe he took up with Agatha.

I'll keep him on my "missing persons" list.

Comment

HI Merry

Came across a John Lavender who was transported to Van Diemans Land as a Convict in 1832/33 - he was convicted at Hertfordshire November 1832 and transported out of Plymouth 28/7/1833.

A Pardon was granted after he had served 11 years and 5 months in the colony.

Could he be your William's brother?
                                    WendyP

Comment

Just came on to tell Merry that, Wendy.

Must be "Graet mind's day" LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post

Could he be your William's brother?
                                        Goodness!!

I have found John being left money in two wills so far (1837 and 1846), but there is nothing to single him out from the other beneficiaries - John gets the same share as his siblings.......Also, I had thought it highly likely he married in 1832, but he still could have done (the entry is on Pallots, so there's no exact date)

What else might it be possible to establish about this John Lavender, the convict?

Comment

Working...
                                        X