Tower of London birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower of London birth?

I have not had this confirmed yet but I am pretty sure that I have a family member born in the Tower.

I guess that his parents would have worked there as my uncle is sure that we had a "Beefeater" in the family, not sure about that, would anyone know if there is a site dedicated to workers at The Tower?

He was Richard Ashton 1856

Son of Richard Ashton and Martha Moore (nee Williams), I think they moved around quite a bit as Richard snr was born in Pewsey Wilts, apprx 1821 Martha came from Northern Ireland and they had children born in Savernake Wilts, Antrim, and India

I would really love to know why Richard may have been born at the Tower, any suggestions?

People used Tower to mean in the area of the Tower, not just actually the Tower of London precincts.

I don't know if there is a beefeater site but you could try googling.
    Why do you think he was born in the Tower?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

These are the only Richard Ashton births within a year of 1856 in the London area:

Richard Ashton 1855 Oct-Nov-Dec Whitechapel

Richard Edward Ashton 1856 Jan-Feb-Mar St Saviour Southwark
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Does it actually say the Chapel in the Tower? As I believe we had this come up years ago and if you were a serving soldier there you could have your child baptised in the Chapel. What does the cert actually say as place of birth? The birth places you give for the kids above dont include London?

The father is obviously a soldier if he has been posted to those various places.
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 21-04-08, 15:58.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's I searched him on Google and Rose has it all detailed on there, his father was a soldier that mystery solved,

Now I am trying to find his death I know it was between 1873 - 1881 as he does not appear in the 1881 census, the sad thing is that one of his son's age 13 is listed as occupation "IDIOT"
          Last edited by mariejader; 21-04-08, 17:13.

Comment

~~~~~waves to Maria~~~~~~~~
            Rose

Comment

Rose that has had me puzzled for weeks why was he born in the Tower of London, if only I had searched google before plus Uncle Franks story's of Beefeaters etc :D

Comment

I had never heard that about Beefeaters in the family :D. Maybe uncle Frank got that one wrong lol.

Although.... you never know what we may find later;)
                Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  Does it actually say the Chapel in the Tower? As I believe we had this come up years ago and if you were a serving soldier there you could have your child baptised in the Chapel.
                  I remember that from GR days! Isn't the church/chapel in the tower called St Peter ad Vincula?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    I remember that from GR days! Isn't the church/chapel in the tower called St Peter ad Vincula?
                    Merry,

That is one of them yes, cos my gt gt grandparents married there!

St. Peter ad Vincula ( St. Peter in Chains, I think it means).

St Peter ad Vincula, Tower of London, Tower Hill, London EC3 : tourist information from TourUK

St John's Chapel, Tower Of London, London EC3 : tourist information from TourUK

yea the other one is St. John's Chapel.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X