Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you agree that Ancestry have got this wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you agree that Ancestry have got this wrong?

Found 3 girls:

1901 Ellen Dayton Age: 13 b1888, Eva Dayton Age: 15 b1886 and Lily Dayton Age: 17 b1884 - all b Fulham and Inmates.

ED, institution, or vessel: Millers Orphan Houses
    Civil Par/ Town: Bristol Glos.
    Ecc parish: Bishopston St Michael and All Angels
    Reg district: Bristol Sub reg district: Ashley

Went to page 1 of census images to check the institution. Typed page with staff etc but no name.

Have googled Millers Orphan Houses - nil. BUT MULLERS orphan houses, Bristol come up with good resutls. Here's a bit from Wiki:

'Ashley Down is a small area of Bristol sandwiched between Bishopston, Horfield and St Werburghs. The main artery is the Ashley Down Road. Places in Ashley include Ashley Down, Montpelier and St Pauls.

Its centre piece is the City of Bristol College, Brunel Campus. This has in its past been used as the film set for the BBC television series Casualty, and started out in life as an orphanage.

The college buildings on Ashley Down Road. In 1845 George Müller entered into a contract for the purchase of 7 acres (28,000 m²) of ground at £120 per acre (£0.03/m²) for the accommodation, feeding, clothing and education of 300 destitute and orphan children. On 18 June 1849 the orphans transferred to the new building, designed by local architect Thomas Foster. By 1886 Müller had received £700,000 through prayer and had over 2,000 children in his care. Whilst these buildings stand mainly whole today they are being slowly converted into flats and other affordable housing.

In 1958 the children and organisation headquarters had moved from Ashley Down and the buildings became Bristol College of Science and Technology (more recently changed to City of Bristol College, Brunel Campus).

As an aside, Muller Road which runs near the site of the orphanage and is named after its founder, is the longest road in Bristol without a pub on it.'

There has been a book written about Muller and the high standards he upheld.

On Ancestry, there must be over 17 pages of census images under the District of: Miller's Orphan Houses.

If you agree with me and they have got this wrong, how do I tell them? It's not just one thing mistranscribed.

Thanks. Got to go out for a bit to get the feeling back in my legs :D Liz
    Liz

Certainly seems as if they have got it wrong from what you have posted.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

They have lots of stuff like this wrong and I don't think they are interested in changing it!

For instance, in 1881 they have several thousand people living in Islinston rather than Islington!!

Comment

I think I can see why they've called it Millers Orphan houses. It isn't because Miller is a translation of Mueller, but that - on the Description page - Mueller is spelled with u-umlaut (I don't know where that is using this work keyboard). U-umlaut in joined up script looks like ii, so I'd guess someone didn't realise what they were looking at, and "corrected" it to a single i, instead of using "ue".

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If, on Ancestry you select Gloucestershire from county list under 1901 search box, then select Bristol, then Ashley ,the final enumeration district has been labelled by Ancestry as Miller's Orphan Houses but when you click on "view description of enumeration district" the page from the enumerator's book has it very clearly as Müller's so I guess the umlaut was misread as an i
          I have once submitted a similar correction which they acknowledged and eventually changed months later so it's worth a try, but don't hold your breath!
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Snap, Judith!
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks folks...thought it must be so. Good to know the 3 girls after the death of their parents were in such a good establishment.

They must have taken London children in because the family were living in London in 1891. Liz
              Liz

Comment

Not a unique mistake by Ancestry.

On (at least) one census, they have put the entire population of the village of Easebourne in Sussex, down as Eastbourne - a rather large town in Sussex!

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
                  Thanks folks...thought it must be so. Good to know the 3 girls after the death of their parents were in such a good establishment.

They must have taken London children in because the family were living in London in 1891. Liz

From memory, Mullers took children from everywhere, but it was a private establishment so only took those with the means to pay.

Comment

Muller specifically didn't take people who could pay - every other orphanage (bar one, I think) only took people who could pay. It was private - but Muller asked God to supply - and God did. It is a quite remarkable story of the power of prayer.

Roger Steer has written an excellent biography of Muller and his work - I thoroughly recommend it: CFP | George Muller: Delighted in God | Roger Steer
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks Wulliam...have reserved 3 books about him including the one you recommend from my Pub. Lib.

I can see on the Ancestry page how to send a correction of a name but not the place. Perhaps will e mail. Liz
                      Liz

Comment

Liz

At the moment, Ancestry only accept people name corrections.

You will have to use the "contact us" facility and argue with them before they will correct this.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. I did try adding a comment about something else, which took ages and I am still not sure it is on. Liz
                          Liz

Comment

Working...
                          X