Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancashire Help Please (Accrington area)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancashire Help Please (Accrington area)

OH's ancestor was Betty (or Elizabeth) Houghton. According to the censuses she was born about 1820 at Accrington - or at Over Darwen, according to the 1871, or Musbury according to the 1851! She married Edmund (aka Edward) Taylor 12th June 1842. Her father was Richard Houghton, a labourer, and her residence was Shoe Mill, Accrington. Age 21. Witnesses were Robert Heap and John Pearson.

I can't see a baptism for her in Accrington on the Lancashire OPC site, but there is a baptism at Blackburn St. Mary: 7 Nov 1821 Betty Houghton, parents Richard and Peggy, abode Pickup Bank, occupation weaver.

Do you think it is likely to be the right Betty? I can't see Pickup Bank on my present-day map, but GENUKI says Yate and Pickup Bank is or was in Whalley parish, 4 1/2 miles SSE of Blackburn. Would that be anywhere near Musbury?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Not answering your Q, (well, I don't think I am )

Do you have these?

1841 (Betty Hoghton):

HO107; Piece 506; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Whalley; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 30; Page: 22; Line: 25

and Richard and new wife with elder children born at Puk Bank (well, that's what it looks like!):

HO107; Piece: 2259; Folio: 755; Page: 60

Comment

Oh, no, I don't - I never thought of trying Hoghton! Thanks, I'll have a look.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

This is familiar territory to me!

Not that it is likely to help you...

Pickup Bank (aka Yate with Pickupbank, or even just Piccop) has fallen under various different ecclesiastical boundaries over the centuries. It reported to Accrington (Whalley) for many centuries. Whalley Abbey was extra parochial then, as was, I think, Clitheroe.

However, some of the people who lived at Pickup, thought they lived in Blackburn Parish - no one seems to have disabused them, and they did their marrying in Blackburn Cathedral.

Geographically, YwPuB, is above Darwen and slightly to the left. I am not sure where Musbury was as it is not a place name I have come across for any of mine, but if she says born Over Darwen, or Pickupbank, the the baptism at Blackburn is extremely likely and not at all suspicious.

OC

Comment

Got it! Musbury seems to be what is now called Helmshore, right of Darwen in a straight line and just under Haslingden.

There is a small area below it called Sunny Bank, and I know for sure that most people in this area reported to Blackburn Cathedral - I have a nest of Holdens at Sunny Bank.

OC

Comment

I'm getting in a complete tangle with them now - I had found a family I thought might be them (without Betty) in 1841 at Roundhill, Haslingden:
            Richard Houghton 40 Cotton Weaver Y
            Alice do 35 Y
            Henry do 10 Y
            Mary do 8 Y
            Rothwell do 6 Y
            Ann do 4 Y
            Alice do 2 Y
            Edward do 2 mth Y

Most of the names match my Betty's children (except Rothwell, unfortunately!) but the ones Merry found looked more likely, since they actually had a Betty of the right age.

But now I've found this lot in 1861 at Grange Lane, New Accrington, where all of OH's rellies seem to have lived at one time or another (Grange Lane, I mean):
            Richard Houghton Head Mar 61 Labourer Lancs Yate & Pickup Bank
            Alice do Wife Mar 59 Invalid do Haslingden
            James do Son Un 28 Cotton Weaver do do
            Rothel do Son Un 26 do do do
            Ann do Daur Un 24 do spinner do do
            Alice do Daur Un 22 do weaver do do
            Edward do Son Un 20 do do do
            Elizabeth do Daur 18 Nurse do do

So I'm utterly confused now! Would he really have an Elizabeth if he already had a Betty? But isn't it a bit of a coincidence that he was born at Yate & Pickup Bank if this is the wrong family?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for the help, OC. So the baptism could well be her, at least.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Kite

No, not a coincidence, extremely likely to be related - cousins same age and same name are almost de rigeur in Darwen!

And yes, I have Darwen families who have both an Elizabeth AND a Betty (and in one case, a Bessie as well).

Haslingden is the right area for Musbury, though.

OC

Comment

Mmm, but in 1851 Richard and Alice are at number 33 Grange Lane, New Accrington, and in 1861 the Taylors are at number 31, so I think the Richard who is married to Alice must be the right one, and the one married to Ann is probably a doppelganger cousin with a Betty of the same age. But as for which of them the Betty with mother Peggy belongs to...?! "My" Betty did name her oldest daughter Alice and a later one Margaret, which doesn't really help much. Why didn't she name a son Rothwell? Apart from for the obvious reason that I have the wrong family....?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Well, I've found a likely marriage for Richard and Alice in 1831 which could mean that Peggy was my Betty's mother. Then they have a load of children baptised together in 1837 and then Alice jr in 1839. Have to take a break from this and look at it again later...
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Uh, don't know if this helps or hinders:

Richard Houghton, weaver, to
                      PEGGY DUXBURY, 24 April 1820
                      wit Henry Houghton

Richard Houghton weaver WIDOWER to
                      ANN Duerden 22 Nov 1830
                      professional witns.

And just to stir the pot:

Burial (7 December 1795) ROTHWELL Hoghton, 2 days, son of Mary Hoghton, abode Yate

Burial (2 Jan 1804) Peggy Hoghton aged 35? wife of ROTHWELL Hoghton, Oswaldtwistle.

I can't see a burial for Peggy Houghton wife of Richard.

I have Duxburys in my tree - I'll see if Peggy Duxbury is in it.

OC

Comment

Here's a clue to the origin of the Rothwell name in this family:

Edward Hoghton, of Banks to
                        Mary Rothwell of Banks
                        5 August 1742. Blackburn St Mary.

(Banks = Yate with Pickupbank)

OC

Comment

KiteRunner.......................I don't know where the rest of your family searching has been, but I found (after much stress) that Lancashire/Cumbria area and Scotland don't play by the same rules when it comes to families.

I also have found three sisters named Isabell , all living at the same time, and a couple of families with a Betty and Elizabeth as sisters. Cousins sharing ages and names is very common.

Comment

Thanks for that, OC. I suppose I'd better not follow up on that Rothwell stuff until I'm sure of which Richard is Betty's father, though. I wonder if I can get somebody to check the Haslingden marriage 3 Apr 1831 Richard Houghton / Alice Barnes to see whether it says if that Richard was a widower as well? I just have a gut feeling that the Alice one must be the right one, although there is a lot suggesting it's the other one! It's that Grange Lane connection plus the names of Betty's children that are making me think so.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

I think the family with Rothwell in it could well be the correct one, because the Richard/Peggy marriage has a witness HENRY Houghton - and Henry is the name of one of Richard's children.

Also the Rothwell name is carried from Edward in 1742, and this family also has an Edward!

But I agree - you do need to see that marriage to Alice, to check if he is a widower, because there are obviously two Richards of the same age knocking around.

I have several Peggy Duxburys in my tree and quite a few Margarets but none which match up.

There IS a Duxbury website but I hesitate to direct you to it as it is not the, erm, most accurate site I have ever seen and it is quite difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. Well, impossible, actually.

OC

Comment

Just to add my pennyworth. When I lived in Rossendale, I used to walk on Musbury Heights which I think was on the Grane Road into Blackburn. Darwen the other side.

Until recently times (when Ribble Valley artificially created?) Whalley's post code was Whalley, Blackburn. Accrington just down the road...

Liz
                                Liz

Comment

OH has shown me where Musbury is on a map now (OS Explorer 19 - West Pennine Moors). Yes, it is near Grane Road, and not far from Pickup Bank. It looks lovely round there. I see there is a Rothwell Fold nearby too. It occurred to me last night after I went to bed that Peggy could well be the "other" Richard's first wife, as he does have a Betty, but "my" Betty could still be the daughter of the Grange Lane Richard if he also had a previous wife before Alice. Or she could be Alice's daughter from before the marriage. This might be one of those cases where I have to follow up everybody from both families through all the censuses to see if there is a clue anywhere, mightn't it?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

HI KR...It is fairly rugged Lancashire moor scenery up there. I had one of the few car accidents on that Grane Road. Notorious for black ice. I ended up in a ditch.
                                    Not hurt.

I love the Rossendale accent...softer and more musical than surrounding areas.

Some pics of Musbury on this website:

BBC - Lancashire - In Pictures - John Vizzard's gallery

Do you ever go into mental melt down with the twists and turns in gen. research - like I do? Once you've solved a puzzle, it seems so obvious, doesn't it.

Good luck with it. Liz
                                    Liz

Comment

Thanks for the link Liz. - now I can show others where I live. Nuttall Park is 2mins. from my home and lots of the other views are just a few minutes walk away. (It's grim up north!!)
                                      Cath.

Comment

Hi KiteRunner,
                                        I have seen a map of the census areas of Rossendale in Rawtenstall Library,Rossendale. On that map I think Musbury came under what they called Old Accrington in the early years of the census. I will visit the library & get a copy of the map.

Comment

Working...
                                        X