No announcement yet.

Do we have any Welsh people here today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have any Welsh people here today?

Hi,

I have a death cert here (1999) that states the place of birth as Aberystrath, Gwent.
    I've Googled and cannot get to grips with this!
    Would I be right in thinking that it should be Aberystwyth? But Aberystwyth isnt in Gwent. What is the registration district for Aberystwyth?
    Thanks

Ok, I see, Aberystwyth is the Reg Dist for Aberystwyth. Doh!
    Is there an Aberystrath in Gwent?

Comment

I'm not Welsh, but looking at the index of places in England and Wales on the GENUKI site, I see that there is a place called Aberystruth in Monmouthshire, which I think became Gwent (or so Wikipedia says anyway).
      See: Index of Places in England and Wales
      Sarah

Comment

Hi Keptin I live in gwent which was once Monmouthshire I have never heard of Aberystrath The nearest i have is Aberstruth which was in monmouthshire i will keep it in mind and when in town will look in the library to see xxxhope this helps Howie
        Howie passed away August 2018.

Comment

The 1901 census has about 13,500 people living at Aberystruth, Monmouthshire.

There seems to be a similarly named smaller place in Cardiganshire too, but that wouldn't be Gwent now!

Comment

Thanks for all your help.
            Now, what reg dist would Aberystruth, Monmouthshire (Gwent) be then?

Comment

The GENUKI site (see link in my previous post) gives the following reg. districts and dates:

Aberystruth
              MON
              1837-1861 Abergavenny
              1861- Bedwelty

Aberystruth Brynmawr
              MON
              1837-1861 Abergavenny
              1861-1900 Bedwelty
              BRE
              1900- Crickhowell
              Last edited by Cloggie; 21-04-08, 10:00.
              Sarah

Comment

Thanks Cloggie, and thanks for the link, I've added it to my favs.
                Fingers crossed then as her birth is not registered in the year that her death cert states she was born!

Thans All.

Comment

Working...
                X