Chinn in Sturminster workhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinn in Sturminster workhouse?

I have come accross this info on the death cert for Amos Chinn (B.1809 in Hinton St Mary):

District: Sturminster, Dorset
    Where & when: 6 Feb 1892, Union Workhouse, Sturminster.
    Amos Chinn
    Aged 83
    Cause of death: Malignant ___? of ___? Exhaustion. Certified by ___?
    Signature, description & residents of informant: George Keats. Master of the Union Workhouse, Sturminster.

Need help with the blanks & advise as to where I can research the union workhouse etc.
    Please help.

Kayleigh

We actually need to see the words on the certificate to help fill in the blanks.

The following should be able to answer your questions regarding the Workhouse

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site
    Dawn

Comment

'Need help with the blanks' didnt mean that literally, should have put 'need help filling in the blanks' - how he got there, any records, cesuses, what this place was etc. - general help.

I'll figure out the 'blanks' on the cert, just having trouble deciphering the writing.

Comment

The 1891 census has him as a patient in the Union Workhouse ... Sturminster, North Dorset .... former occupation ... an Ag Lab and born in Hinton St Mary

Here's the link for anyone interested
        - Ancestry.co.uk
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Ooh goody Kayleigh. I'll update Amos on my tree too. He's too distant a twig for me to justify getting the certificate. Just a thought, is this the GRO cert. or one from the local Register Office?
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John,

It's one of many certs my grandad collected. I've got a copy of the acctual cert. My grandad got it in 1988, must of got it from the office.

I've got a birth cert for William Chinn, b 23 may 1851, father Samuel Chinn, mother Mary Chinn,formerly Davies. Registered in Islington, Middlesex.

Not sure where this fits in my tree as yet, does it ring any bells for your tree?

Comment

Workhouse records are generally with the relevant county records office.
              Records

Dorset Archive Service
              Bridport Road
              DORCHESTER
              Dorset
              DT1 1RP
              Telephone:- U.K. 01305 250550
              Archives - Dorset For You
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Kayleigh_M.G View Post
                Uncle John,

It's one of many certs my grandad collected. I've got a copy of the acctual cert. My grandad got it in 1988, must of got it from the office.

I've got a birth cert for William Chinn, b 23 may 1851, father Samuel Chinn, mother Mary Chinn,formerly Davies. Registered in Islington, Middlesex.

Not sure where this fits in my tree as yet, does it ring any bells for your tree?
                Well, the youngest of Amos's sons (as far as I know) was Samuel, born about 1828. The older ones, and I have no record of where the info. came from, are Amos (1809-1892), James (1817), Luke (1819), Emanuel (1821), then Samuel (1828-1894). Looking at them with fresh eyes, the spread of d.o.b's looks a bit odd.

Samuel married Mary Ann Lewis Cluett in q1 1851 (Wincanton vol 10 page 841). I presume that I checked that one, but without going back I can't be sure, and I may not have the correct marriage. I have Samuel's daughter Aurelia born q3 1851 in Marnhull (Sturminster vol 8 page 105 recorded as Erella). One possible clincher is that in 1861 he's in Marnhull visiting a Mary Lewis (76) but his wife is elsewhere, not yet found.

So I think we may have a mixture of various Chinn families. As we have found before, there were several families of Chinn in that area of Dorset. It's possible we have 2 different Samuels and one of us has put him in the wrong family.

This is not my direct line. Aurelia was the second wife of my great-great-uncle so I'm not going to go for certificates. My Samuel was a baker in the early census. He became a non-conformist minister of some sort.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have no idea who half the people are that I have certs for, they don't seem to fit anywhere! Problem is my grandad got them but didn't write any notes to go along with his research for some reason. Sadly he passed away in 2000 so I can't ask him why he got them.

Your Samuel is my gx4 grandfathers brother. I have no idea who the Samuel is in my earlier comment!?

Comment

Working...
                  X